EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: WiFi and Grand Canyon  (Read 1334 times)

ditsjets7

• ---
Re: WiFi and Grand Canyon
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
"Now the question is is it feasible to get there, have enough time to enjoy Yellowstone, and get back in two weeks time?"

You asked this, I think you will spend so much time traveling and so little time there that although it can be done but it won't be fun.  Find a closer place where you can enjoy more time with your kids and wife on site. MHO

That makes sense. Inhane a friend who rented a Motorhome last year and they did the trip in 16 Days. But I am hearing what you are saying. I donít want to be stuck in the middle of misery. Iím also going to be stubborn and not allow my kids electronics on the trip.

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
That makes sense. Inhane a friend who rented a Motorhome last year and they did the trip in 16 Days. But I am hearing what you are saying. I donít want to be stuck in the middle of misery. Iím also going to be stubborn and not allow my kids electronics on the trip.

Any suggestions on what National parks or great places to go  closer to upstate NY? I am kind of bummed, I really want to drive this rig out west, but all your points make all too much sense.

phil-t

• ---
  • Here For The Duration
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »
Do a Google search for Northeastern National Parks.  Lots of places to go to and see.  Depends on your personal preferences.

We just got back (two weeks ago) from a week of touring Coastal Maine (from Northern NY) we did about 1200 miles on the MH.  Acaadia National Park, Cape Cod and some of the small coastal towns.  Tourist season was over and things were very quiet - but we had a great time without the crowds.  Not much for campgrounds available in November so we were boondocking most of the time.

It would definitely be a great summer getaway.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
Do a Google search for Northeastern National Parks.  Lots of places to go to and see.  Depends on your personal preferences.

We just got back (two weeks ago) from a week of touring Coastal Maine (from Northern NY) we did about 1200 miles on the MH.  Acaadia National Park, Cape Cod and some of the small coastal towns.  Tourist season was over and things were very quiet - but we had a great time without the crowds.  Not much for campgrounds available in November so we were boondocking most of the time.

It would definitely be a great summer getaway.

I have never been to Maine. I love Lobster! My wife has been talking about Acadia for a while now. You may have persuaded me. I still want to get out west.

phil-t

• ---
  • Here For The Duration
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
I have never been to Maine. I love Lobster! My wife has been talking about Acadia for a while now. You may have persuaded me. I still want to get out west.
Fresh Maine Lobster - YUMMMMMMMY - nothing like it.  Yea - it's not Grand Canyon, the desert SW, the Rocky Mtns. or the Sierras; but it's close to home and a good time for a couple of weeks. A trip like that can be extended or shortened easily.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:01:02 PM by phil-t »
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 06:05:32 PM »
What types of activities do your kids enjoy?  Hiking?  Exploring the seashore?  Amusement parks?  Learning about nature?  Historical places?  The northeast is full of history with lots to explore.  Today's kids don't learn about our history in school the way we did so perhaps that's a way to get them interested.  Washington DC is an amazing place that would take months to explore.  Virginia and south is full of Civil War battlefields, along with canons, musket balls and such.  I would plan my first trip around their interests so they want to do it again.  If they're too bored they won't want to go the next time.  Even the Maritime Provinces of Canada have a lot of history and the Bay of Fundy tides are fun when you can walk on the bottom of the sea that then fills with water.  Of course Canada requires passports but you have time to get some.

By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT.

ArdraF
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:08:24 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »
What types of activities do your kids enjoy?  Hiking?  Exploring the seashore?  Amusement parks?  Learning about nature?  Historical places?  The northeast is full of history with lots to explore.  Today's kids don't learn about our history in school the way we did so perhaps that's a way to get them interested.  Washington DC is an amazing place that would take months to explore.  Virginia and south is full of Civil War battlefields, along with canons, musket balls and such.  I would plan my first trip around their interests so they want to do it again.  If they're too bored they won't want to go the next time.  Even the Maritime Provinces of Canada have a lot of history and the Bay of Fundy tides are fun when you can walk on the bottom of the sea that then fills with water.  Of course Canada requires passports but you have time to get some.

By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT.

ArdraF

They enjoy hiking, fishing, beaches, history. Pretty much anything outdoors. My wife and I went to the New Market Battelfield before we had kids. I think they would like that. The Bay of Fundy sounds pretty awesome. I would love to learn more about that.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
You have the world in your back yard: Niagara Falls, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and the Canadian Maritimes are all nearby.

I would suggest some weekend outings to get your feet wet first. There are plenty of great campgrounds within an hour of your home town. Heck, we have two trips to upstate New York planned for next year.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »
You have the world in your back yard: Niagara Falls, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and the Canadian Maritimes are all nearby.

I would suggest some weekend outings to get your feet wet first. There are plenty of great campgrounds within an hour of your home town. Heck, we have two trips to upstate New York planned for next year.

We camped with our pop up at many of the places you just mentioned. The Catskills, VT,  Cape Cod. Those were all great. We got the Motor home to spread our wings so to speak. We camped with the pop up a lot during the last 5 years. I want to make sure we get out West before the kids are too old.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »
You're really going to enjoy not being so dependent of the weather like in the pop up. You won't miss the canvas one little bit!
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
Watkins Glen used to have a laser light show on the canyon wall at night.  Dinosaurs!  The Finger Lakes area is pretty.

Pennsylvania - one of the original 13 states - has Philadelphia with Independence Hall.  Gettysburg Battlefield.  That whole area is full of Revolutionary War sites.  Not to mention Boston.  "The Redcoats are coming! The Redcoats are coming!"

Google is your friend to learn about these wonderful sites.  Put those boys to work on finding out where they want to go on shorter weekends and more lengthy visits!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:57 PM »
"By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT."

Because of this info is that you need more than two weeks to have an enjoyable trip.  You need to wait until you have more time.  In addition, most of us when we travel that kind of distance, we try to stop and visit worthy places in route. If you drive all the way through without stopping in some of those places, you would miss a great opportunity.My two cents.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 04:22:10 AM »
"By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT."

Because of this info is that you need more than two weeks to have an enjoyable trip.  You need to wait until you have more time.  In addition, most of us when we travel that kind of distance, we try to stop and visit worthy places in route. If you drive all the way through without stopping in some of those places, you would miss a great opportunity.My two cents.

This makes perfect sense.

Hokie-Dave

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »
Any suggestions on what National parks or great places to go  closer to upstate NY? I am kind of bummed, I really want to drive this rig out west, but all your points make all too much sense.

Your other option is to drive out with the kids a week earlier, leave yourself shorter travel days and take your time and have your wife fly in and meet you there.  1 week of her vacation saved that way.  I did this for our trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone this summer.

dave

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »
Your other option is to drive out with the kids a week earlier, leave yourself shorter travel days and take your time and have your wife fly in and meet you there.  1 week of her vacation saved that way.  I did this for our trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone this summer.

dave

I have considered this option. Any suggestions on where I might have her fly out to?

Hokie-Dave

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »
Probably Phoenix for the Grand Canyon, or Jackson, WY for Yellowstone.

dave

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
If you stay back east, Finger Lakes area is nice. Also, central PA, Strasburg Railroad, Hershey, Lancaster.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
Probably Phoenix for the Grand Canyon, or Jackson, WY for Yellowstone.

dave

Or perhaps Flagstaff, AZ for the Grand Canyon. Depending on where you want to go and what you want to see, Billings, MT might be another option for Yellowstone, though it's a few hours drive from the park. Or Bozeman, MT would be even closer, though still not quite next door. It's a pretty drive...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

rockin rockwood

• ---
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
Regarding Yellowstone. That park is immense!! It covers a couple states. You'll want to figure out what you want to see, for instance Old Faithful is closest to Jackson Hole WY along with the Grand Tetons. The wildlife I believe is closer to the north east corner. I'm pretty sure the only way to get there from Jackson hole is thru the park, no highways available.it's along ride because of sightseers. Possibly a day? Other more experienced travelers will chime in, but living in the northeast this area is nothing you could imagine!
Dan
2006 FourWinds Windsport
2007 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »
Dan is right. Also, the time it takes to get anywhere is also affected by wildlife "jams," that is, people stopped on, partially on, or next to the road to see wildlife, whether it's one elk, a herd of bison, or maybe a bear. Then there are the other wildlife "jams" where bison walk across or down the road, slowing or stopping traffic. We had one in the spring where it took us over an hour and a half to go a couple of miles, because something over 20 bison were walking on the road in the same direction we were driving, not caring about staying in the lane, and every time someone would attempt to pass, the bison would ease into the "passing" lane, too. That's besides oncoming traffic that had to stop for the bison. And often as not, with so much traffic, the bison would even pass us.

Of course you don't usually get it that bad, but we had more than one of those (the others not so long) that spring.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2017, 12:21:43 PM »
Hi all! The advice I have gotten here has been tremendous. I can't thank you all enough. We are taking our FIRST big trip in late march. We will leave NY and drive to Winchester VA and stop for the night. The next morning drive another hour south to New Market VA and spend a good part of the day at the battlefield and museum there. From there we will go another 4 hours to Morganton, N.C. I will be seeing Family and plugging the RV in at their house for two nights. From there It is back up North to Bull Run Campground near Fairfax V.A. This is about a 5 1/2 hour trip. Stay the night and go to the Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport the next day. Back to the campground for the evening. Then make the 5 1/2 hour trip. Back to Woodstock, N.Y. We are going to cover a lot of ground, see a lot of great things, see family, and I think we are not over doing it. The "Times" I posted were from MapQuest. For the 4-6 hour runs we plan to stop, stretch, maybe my wife can come out of the bullpen for an hour or two so I can charge back up. This is my plan for late March. If this goes well I like the idea of me driving out to WY with my boys with a 5 day head start and having my wife fly into Jackson Hole WY. That way her two week vacation starts then and we can really explore the park and hopefully some great things on the way home. Or, we may decide to stay closer to home this year and do the great lakes, Niagara falls or something else. Either way I have a new perspective on planning for long trips. My goal is to head West while my tires are still young. They are currently two years old. I have no idea what a new set of 6 costs for a class C, but I can't imagine it's cheap.

I honestly never would thought of so many of the variables that I learned here. Thank you all for your kindness and consideration, your insight and advice. I feel so much better about this moving forward.

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
About traveling with the kids.  I wouldn't worry so much about the 4-5 hard days of travel to get there.  They won't care for the constant driving, but they will get over it. 

The important thing is when you get to where you are going, you then slow down and relax.  No driving for a few hours, sightseeing for an hour or two driving a few more hours to a museum or attraction, setting up for the night and repeating that the next day. 

Instead set up camp and stay in one spot for 4 days to a week.  After doing your sightseeing, hiking museum, etc get back to camp by 3pm or so so everyone can relax and play at the campground.  If you travel to a new location make it near by, 2-4 hour drive and stay put for another 4 days to a week.

The above is what we did with our kids when we went on vacation.  They are in their 40's now.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2017, 04:17:15 PM »
About traveling with the kids.  I wouldn't worry so much about the 4-5 hard days of travel to get there.  They won't care for the constant driving, but they will get over it. 

The important thing is when you get to where you are going, you then slow down and relax.  No driving for a few hours, sightseeing for an hour or two driving a few more hours to a museum or attraction, setting up for the night and repeating that the next day. 

Instead set up camp and stay in one spot for 4 days to a week.  After doing your sightseeing, hiking museum, etc get back to camp by 3pm or so so everyone can relax and play at the campground.  If you travel to a new location make it near by, 2-4 hour drive and stay put for another 4 days to a week.

The above is what we did with our kids when we went on vacation.  They are in their 40's now.

Thatís great advice! I envision them sitting at the table playing chess and other games while we drive. Iím looking forward to it!

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
This is great information. Thank you. Looks like work is out. Now the question is is it feasible to get there, have enough time to enjoy Yellowstone, and get back in two weeks time?

I fear the easy but only realistic answer to this question is "no." As many others have tried to explain, you essentially have two ways of looking at this.

1) Drive 500 miles a day to give yourself a maximum of six days at your destination, meaning spending no less than 16 hours per day on the road and turning into a zombie by the time you get to your destination. This means taking no less than one full day recuperating before even wanting to go see the sights. This also means not spending ANY time seeing the sights while on the road to your destination, which for most RVer's is half the vacation. It will also mean cranky kids because they have nothing to do but sit and ask how much longer is it going to take.

2) Drive a more realistic 300-400 miles per day, still be tired when you get there, but at least functional, and take 10-12 days on the road, only leaving you one or two days at your destination, which kind of makes the entire trip and its associated expenses a waste of time and money. And driving 400 miles a day will still not give you time to smell the roses while you're on the road.

The people on this forum are experienced and have already made the mistakes you are contemplating making yourself. We are simply trying to share our own experience so you may have a more enjoyable vacation.

In May of 2016, the wife, two dogs and I took a five week trip from SW Florida to Las Vegas to the Midwest and back home. It was a 6,200 mile round trip. The first leg was to Tuscon, AZ and it took us six days to get there driving 350-425 miles per day. By day five, I was unable to effectively communicate with my wife when she asked me a question and by day six, I was a zombie. I needed time off the road to recover. And that was with no kids, unless you count the dogs as four legged children. Same thing on the way back. Shot down I-40 from Kingman, AZ after leaving Las Vegas all the way to Ft. Smith, AR on our way to Hot Springs. I was too tired to care by the time we reached Amarillo, TX because we were trying to make good time and not stay on the road any longer than necessary. I learned from that trip to keep my daily trips to 300-350 miles and simply plan on taking longer to get there so I can enjoy the entire trip, not just the destination. Something else to keep in mind is the possibility of a breakdown of some kind that may cost you hours or days. A tire blowout could set you back over a half day by itself, depending on how far away from a dealer you might breakdown. It is wise to build in an extra day or two in the event of some kind of emergency, especially in an older RV. Just because your tires and hoses are in good shape doesn't mean something else won't go wrong or breakdown.

My advice to you is to plan a shorter trip until your wife can take more time off. If you seriously want to see either Yellowstone or the GC and you live in upstate New York, I wouldn't think of trying to make either destination in less than four weeks if you really want to enjoy it. Consider that it will take you at least a week to see all there is to see in Yellowstone, and if you spend that long, you'll still feel like you missed something. But if you want to take a vacation that the entire family will enjoy and remember as a good time, take your time and make stops along the way that might take a couple of hours or even a day or two.

I just realized there was more than one page to this thread and you have already come to this conclusion. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:15:06 PM by John Stephens »
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
Acme EZ Tow Dolly and 2007 Azera

ditsjets7

• ---
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
John, thank you. I appreciate you and everyone here sharing their experiences to help me and others. Thanks again!

Mike

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
Well I see you are on plan B.   

It's pretty rare when plan A works for us. Last summer our seven week trip throughout  four western states  was on plan F by the time we finished.

Never a dull moment in the RVing world!!!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

2kGeorgieBoy

• ---
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
Reading this post, I see no mention or thought about transportation when you get to your destinations.. Keep in mind that a motorhome is not like a car and parking and even driving in congested areas is going to be a challenge.  If you're thinking about rental cars, I would highly recommend some thorough research into availability, cost, etc., for any place you're considering visiting. You don't want any surprises when you arrive.
2000 Georgie Boy Maverick
31' E450 V10  No slides
our toys:
'08 Polaris Touring LE ATV (mine)
'12 Polaris 550 XP ATV (wife's)
1968 AH Sprite (original owners, not on road at this time)
Gary, Jena, and Presley (our awesome yellow Lab).
Westcliffe, CO.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
Reading this post, I see no mention or thought about transportation when you get to your destinations.. Keep in mind that a motorhome is not like a car and parking and even driving in congested areas is going to be a challenge.  If you're thinking about rental cars, I would highly recommend some thorough research into availability, cost, etc., for any place you're considering visiting. You don't want any surprises when you arrive.
The south rim of the Grand Canyon has an excellent free shuttle bus system that runs from before sunrise to after sunset. I never drive when I am there. Zion and Bryce also have shuttles.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Hosted by Over The Network