WiFi and Grand Canyon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ditsjets7 said:
From what she tells me the programs she runs from her lap tops take up a ton of bandwidth and she said that the hot spot would not work. Not sure why, beyond my comprehension.

How much does this WiFi equipment for the RV go for? Thank you!!!

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile all offer unlimited data hotspot plans at various price points. Of the four cell providers, Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage, with T-Mobile third, and Sprint a distant fourth. I hesitate to mention the AT&T unlimited data plan we have, because it's no longer being offered. And without some idea of the amount of bandwidth she uses per month, it's even difficult to recommend specific data plans. Standalone hotspots run around $150 depending on the service and contract required, but most smartphones can also be used as hotspots, so you may not need any additional equipment at all, possibly just a plan change.

We live in California and while we were still working we limited our trips to west of the Mississippi. May I suggest going to Gettysburg or Washington DC or somewhere within two days travel time.

In July all RV parks are packed and all roads are being repaired. You will be lucky if you can average 50 mph. Yellowstone will be jammed.  4th of July reservations are a must anywhere in the country. 

I hate to sound negative but we've run cross country many times and at all times of the year and I believe  it will be a memorable trip but not because anybody enjoyed it. 

Our public library in Ohio let's us check out Verizon Hot Spots for 2 weeks at a time.  Check with you local library and have your wife go in her car away from service and try her laptop.  We used it twice last summer and streamed tv off my laptop.

SeilerBird said:
At the Grand Canyon there is free WiFi available at the Maswik Lodge cafeteria. Pretty good food too.

If you go to the north rim, the last cell tower is 40-some miles north of the lodge at Jacob Lake.  You can get crappy wifi at the camp store, or you can get a cell signal on the veranda of the lodge, but it's off the towers at the south rim, and will barely support looking at FB on your phone.
Food's pretty good at the lodge, but they're proud of it.

I agree with the statement that 800 MIles is 16 hours on the road.  Commercial drivers are limited to I think 8 or 10 hours on the road then they are required to take time off. There is a very good reason for this.. (In a front engine vehicle you spend too many hours on the road and either the radiator can become leaky, Suddenly... Or on any vehicle it can get tired and roll over to take a nap)

I think she is going to investigate the ?Hot Spot? on the way out to Yellowstone. Every day that she can work is a day later she can start her 14 day vacation. Not sure how much time we will need but I know 14 Days is cutting it close. Thanks all!

I'd recommend you search this forum for wifi or similar discussions. There have been several recently that went into equipment and likely speeds in great detail. Then print off a few and provide to your wife for evaluation. There are ways to accomplish what you wish to do, but they may prove more expensive than you wish to support.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I'd recommend you search this forum for wifi or similar discussions. There have been several recently that went into equipment and likely speeds in great detail. Then print off a few and provide to your wife for evaluation. There are ways to accomplish what you wish to do, but they may prove more expensive than you wish to support.

Ernie

Thank you! I will do that

"Now the question is is it feasible to get there, have enough time to enjoy Yellowstone, and get back in two weeks time?"

You asked this, I think you will spend so much time traveling and so little time there that although it can be done but it won't be fun.  Find a closer place where you can enjoy more time with your kids and wife on site. MHO

RVRAC said:
"Now the question is is it feasible to get there, have enough time to enjoy Yellowstone, and get back in two weeks time?"

You asked this, I think you will spend so much time traveling and so little time there that although it can be done but it won't be fun.  Find a closer place where you can enjoy more time with your kids and wife on site. MHO

That makes sense. Inhane a friend who rented a Motorhome last year and they did the trip in 16 Days. But I am hearing what you are saying. I don?t want to be stuck in the middle of misery. I?m also going to be stubborn and not allow my kids electronics on the trip.

ditsjets7 said:
That makes sense. Inhane a friend who rented a Motorhome last year and they did the trip in 16 Days. But I am hearing what you are saying. I don?t want to be stuck in the middle of misery. I?m also going to be stubborn and not allow my kids electronics on the trip.

Any suggestions on what National parks or great places to go  closer to upstate NY? I am kind of bummed, I really want to drive this rig out west, but all your points make all too much sense.

Do a Google search for Northeastern National Parks.  Lots of places to go to and see.  Depends on your personal preferences.

We just got back (two weeks ago) from a week of touring Coastal Maine (from Northern NY) we did about 1200 miles on the MH.  Acaadia National Park, Cape Cod and some of the small coastal towns.  Tourist season was over and things were very quiet - but we had a great time without the crowds.  Not much for campgrounds available in November so we were boondocking most of the time.

It would definitely be a great summer getaway.

phil-t said:
Do a Google search for Northeastern National Parks.  Lots of places to go to and see.  Depends on your personal preferences.

We just got back (two weeks ago) from a week of touring Coastal Maine (from Northern NY) we did about 1200 miles on the MH.  Acaadia National Park, Cape Cod and some of the small coastal towns.  Tourist season was over and things were very quiet - but we had a great time without the crowds.  Not much for campgrounds available in November so we were boondocking most of the time.

It would definitely be a great summer getaway.

I have never been to Maine. I love Lobster! My wife has been talking about Acadia for a while now. You may have persuaded me. I still want to get out west.

ditsjets7 said:
I have never been to Maine. I love Lobster! My wife has been talking about Acadia for a while now. You may have persuaded me. I still want to get out west.
Fresh Maine Lobster - YUMMMMMMMY - nothing like it.  Yea - it's not Grand Canyon, the desert SW, the Rocky Mtns. or the Sierras; but it's close to home and a good time for a couple of weeks. A trip like that can be extended or shortened easily.

What types of activities do your kids enjoy?  Hiking?  Exploring the seashore?  Amusement parks?  Learning about nature?  Historical places?  The northeast is full of history with lots to explore.  Today's kids don't learn about our history in school the way we did so perhaps that's a way to get them interested.  Washington DC is an amazing place that would take months to explore.  Virginia and south is full of Civil War battlefields, along with canons, musket balls and such.  I would plan my first trip around their interests so they want to do it again.  If they're too bored they won't want to go the next time.  Even the Maritime Provinces of Canada have a lot of history and the Bay of Fundy tides are fun when you can walk on the bottom of the sea that then fills with water.  Of course Canada requires passports but you have time to get some.

By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
What types of activities do your kids enjoy?  Hiking?  Exploring the seashore?  Amusement parks?  Learning about nature?  Historical places?  The northeast is full of history with lots to explore.  Today's kids don't learn about our history in school the way we did so perhaps that's a way to get them interested.  Washington DC is an amazing place that would take months to explore.  Virginia and south is full of Civil War battlefields, along with canons, musket balls and such.  I would plan my first trip around their interests so they want to do it again.  If they're too bored they won't want to go the next time.  Even the Maritime Provinces of Canada have a lot of history and the Bay of Fundy tides are fun when you can walk on the bottom of the sea that then fills with water.  Of course Canada requires passports but you have time to get some.

By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT.

ArdraF

They enjoy hiking, fishing, beaches, history. Pretty much anything outdoors. My wife and I went to the New Market Battelfield before we had kids. I think they would like that. The Bay of Fundy sounds pretty awesome. I would love to learn more about that.

You have the world in your back yard: Niagara Falls, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and the Canadian Maritimes are all nearby.

I would suggest some weekend outings to get your feet wet first. There are plenty of great campgrounds within an hour of your home town. Heck, we have two trips to upstate New York planned for next year.

HappyWanderer said:
You have the world in your back yard: Niagara Falls, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and the Canadian Maritimes are all nearby.

I would suggest some weekend outings to get your feet wet first. There are plenty of great campgrounds within an hour of your home town. Heck, we have two trips to upstate New York planned for next year.

We camped with our pop up at many of the places you just mentioned. The Catskills, VT,  Cape Cod. Those were all great. We got the Motor home to spread our wings so to speak. We camped with the pop up a lot during the last 5 years. I want to make sure we get out West before the kids are too old.

You're really going to enjoy not being so dependent of the weather like in the pop up. You won't miss the canvas one little bit!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom