Check out the new Tesla semi truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

TonyDtorch

Elon Musk show off the new Tesla semi-truck.  Very impressive power and range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqYU6VA1Rmw

I really wish Elon was into RVs.

Quite an achievement.  But truckers are gonna want a lot more chrome.

WA6CAL said:
Quite an achievement.  But truckers are gonna want a lot more chrome.

and there's that ol' saying...."Chrome won't get you home...but it may get you laid".

I'm more of the opinion expressed in this article: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/21/tesla-semi-may-be-aiming-at-the-wrong-end-of-the-freight-industry.html

Electric makes more sense for short haul (regional delivery) trucks and buses than Over-the-road (OTR) trucks where 500 miles may well be a short days work and max payload is a key goal. Regional and city delivery means the truck is never far from a charge station and a shorter range (smaller battery pack) is practical.

I see long range trucking and RVs as an application for something more like a diesel locomotive, where an onboard generator supplies continuous electric power and therefore the battery pack can be relatively modest in size.

People have been telling Elon he is full of crap his whole life. However he is a billionaire because of his ideas and his critics are worth a lot less money.

SeilerBird said:
People have been telling Elon he is full of crap his whole life. However he is a billionaire because of his ideas and his critics are worth a lot less money.
:)) :)) :))

However he is a billionaire because of his ideas

Certainly true, but having far-thinking ideas doesn't necessarily lead to success in a huge manufacturing enterprise like Tesla or his battery company.  He got wealthy on things like internet financial services (e.g Paypal), not manufacturing products. I love his willingness to put his money into making ideas real, though.

I wonder....Do you suppose he makes, or loses money resupplying the Space Station ?

SeilerBird said:
He has been doing it for over five years so I would assume he is making money.
Then he's managed to do something that NASA couldn't even do.

not too bad for a guy with a couple of bachelors degrees.

Gary there area lot of major distribution centers like Walmart that deliver under the 250 mile range he mentions.

I believe what truckers really look at is total cost per mile, including lost time and depreciation.

Gary there area lot of major distribution centers like Walmart that deliver under the 250 mile range he mentions.

Right. That's the regional delivery application I referred to. Much of that market is served by medium duty trucks and smaller semis, but Walmart does indeed use full size smei's for that. So do some supermarket chains.

The article that Gary referenced makes the point that Musk never disclosed the weight of this truck unloaded.  It might have a 10,000 lb battery pack, thereby reducing significantly the payload of the truck. Whereas an efficient diesel generator might be possible with much less weight.  As for the 500 mi range, I have to believe that this range is very useful for all trucking in places like Taiwan, Scandinavia, and throughout Europe. Perhaps it will take hold elsewhere before the US. 

nice thing is the truck can be re fueled as it's being unloaded.

Back
Top Bottom