used generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceedill

We are thinking about buying a used generator but do not know what to look for and inspect or if it even worthwhile trying to buy used instead of new. We won't be using it often but would be nice to have one for the future because We would like to go Boondocking once and while to the Foothills

I'm going to assume that you're talking about portable generators. If I were looking at used gensets, I would focus on well known manufacturers, like Honda and Yamaha. They've been in the portable generator business for decades and their reputations are well established.

I would look at their general condition (have they been banged around and damaged, or do they appear well cared for.) I would like to know how many hours they've run (some have Hobbs meters) and of course, I'd test it under a load to make sure it works.

Kev

What kind of RV do you have?

I haven't ever seen a used generator for sale. My thought is buy a new one to avoid problems that old generators sitting around with bad gas in them will have.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

thanks for that i will update my profile. we have 2015 open range 345rls
there are lots of used portable generators here in central Alberta, i am thinking that new is probably the way to go though

About all you can do is run it under a fairly heavy load for 30+ minutes. If it produces steady power without stalling or surging, it's probably in good working condition. However, that tells you nothing about internal wear on mechanical parts.

If it fails that test, be very wary and don't fall for a line like "Oh, it just needs some carb cleaner run through it".  That might be the case, but there are many other things that could be wrong and often expensive to fix unless you are a fairly skilled DIY type.

Just remember that you usually get what you pay for.

In this case I think I would foot the bill and buy new.
You don't want problems down the road and usually you never really know how someone cared for a unit.

If buying used, I wouldn't hesitate if I found a Honda or Yamaha that was in good condition.  Anything else for me would be a no go!  In fact, I probably wouldn't buy anything other than a Honda or Yamaha period.  There is just no substitute for the quality that they have and I'v been through three cheap Chinese generators before I bought my Yamaha 6300 several years ago.

Ditto!

Get the quiet ones!

Those contractor cheaper types will shorten your life because your neighbors within 2 miles will want to end your life early.

Also make sure it isn't stolen. Generators are one of the most stolen items.

Thanks for all the advice. it looks like we we will go with new and inverter type, because i am not too mechanical it seems like a shot in the dark dealing with used.  I didn't really think about if they were stolen or not, that's a pretty good reason to stay away as well.

ChasA said:
Also make sure it isn't stolen. Generators are one of the most stolen items.

That's the only thing I've seen stolen in an RV park.

At a park in Utah a guy across from me had one sitting out front of his RV for a oxygen machine his wife used.  Second day I was there it got stolen.

He didn't have it chained nor locked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom