Propane for BBQ - carry another bottle or tap the RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeylikesit

While "camping", I like to do alot of the cooking on a BBQ.  I also use an old Coleman 2 burner stove for stuff like bacon and eggs.

I'm wondering about the pro's and con's of tapping into the RV's propane system as a fuel source, as opposed to carrying a couple of bottles.  Securing them isn't a problem, I have several water bottle plastic crates.....

any thoughts? (or real world experience?)

thanking you....

8)

I added an "Extend-a-Stay" fitting on my on board propane bottle on my last rig. I believe that it also came with a 6' extended hose. I loved the convenience of just hooking up the hose and firing up the BBQ. I recommend one over using separate propane bottles of any size.

I carry a 20# "exchanged" tank. Never falls...seem to run out at the most inopportune times.  Can either have it filled or exchange it.

Wi1dBi11

I have an Extend-A-Stay kit installed on our coach that allows me to connect an auxiliary DOT cylinder with a 6' hose to augment the on board tank for longer stays. It also has a 12' hose that connects to a separate port so we can run our portable BBQ grill from the coach system. The grill end of the hose has the same fitting as the throwaway bottles the grill was intended to use, so no modifications to the grill were needed.

Carry a spare tank or tap the motor home with an Extend-a-Stay

Option 3: BOTH

Oh, advantage option 3: Works both ways IF RV tank dry.. Portable will run Furnace

We found that carrying an extra small tank was more convenient. It allowed us to place the grill anywhere we wanted without a hose to trip over or limit the distance from the coach. We ended up carrying a 5# tank for the grill plus a 10# for the gas fireplace. The tall type is a bit more convenient than the low squat shape and that size tank is light enough to move easily.  I still had the tap into the coach LP line and carried the hose for it, but I don't think we ever used it once we got the handy little bottles.

I have an extend-a-stay (Sturgi-stay QD quick disconnect model), overall I find it handy, though placement of the grill is limited by the 10 ft hose, plus the pigtail hose on the grill.

On the 5er....carry a bottle. On the class c...will soon “tap-in”.....waiting for tank to empty, then will put in a tee, for refills from home and grill supply source!

With two tanks on the tongue of about every TT around I think its overkill to carry that much propane (for the weekend camper) so I gathered up all the black propane hose I had laying around and suprisingly had about 25 feet. I went to home depot and bought a handful of couplers and some hose clamps and ran my own line to the rear of my TT off of the second tank that is on my TT tongue. I mounted it under neath and it comes out near my outdoor kitchen. All I have to do is hook up either my firering or my grill and im all good.

Well, I am different. I carry 2 small tanks (20 lb) and 2 larger tanks. We are fulltime and the small tanks are for the Mr. Buddy heater and a grill and stove. The larger ones are for the furnace,stove, water heater, and fridge. We boon dock a lot.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We found that carrying an extra small tank was more convenient. It allowed us to place the grill anywhere we wanted without a hose to trip over or limit the distance from the coach. We ended up carrying a 5# tank for the grill plus a 10# for the gas fireplace. The tall type is a bit more convenient than the low squat shape and that size tank is light enough to move easily.  I still had the tap into the coach LP line and carried the hose for it, but I don't think we ever used it once we got the handy little bottles.

I have two 12' hoses for the Extend-A-Stay accessory tap. Both hoses are threaded with M/F throwaway cylinder fittings, so they easily connect together if I need the additional length. I do keep a couple of throwaway bottles on hand though, for those times we lug the BBQ to a community or neighbors gathering.

I love the quick connect that hooks to my RV.  I have a two burner stove, a little grill and a space heater all adapted to be able to hook into the supply.  I have two 10 foot hoses and can hook them together if necessary.

We use a Q120 with 1 pound disposable tanks.  They last a long time even BBQing 4 or 5 nights a week.  As said above the tank allows so much freedom over where you can place the BBQ.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom