1981 Vogue 26' dies going uphill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elefo

Hi all,
I got issues with a 1981 26' Vogue with Chevy engine
It stops runing when going uphill
A lot of engine parts have been changed but not the carb..
I spent a lot of money for change a lot of parts because they "maybe" were the cause of that problem..
Now I can't spend anymore in useless changes or in a full diagnostic for in the end find out that it was a wire..
Does anyone have an idea on the thing ?
Do you know mechanics in Redding California ?
How can I test the different parts one by one on all gas travel from tank to explosion ?
Electrical problem ?

I don't know if I can do anything more now without informations..
Everything runs great, except uphill.
I'm desperate and need help.. we are stucked with girlfriend and dog with no solutions for now..
Let us know if you got something
In advance thank you
Florian

Sounds like a gasoline supply problem. Maybe the fuel pump or.... Try and figure out what actually changes when the vehicle starts up a hill, ie the nose becomes higher than the back where the tank is usually located.

A lot of those older coaches had an electric pusher pump back by the tank.  When they work fine, no one ever knows they're there.  When they quit, the common symptom was for the carb to run out of gas climbing a hill.  There might possibly be a cannister type fuel filter back there also.  That can plug up.

I'd follow the fuel line down the inside of the frame rail from where it attaches to the engine driven fuel pump back to the tank and see if you can't find another pump or filter somewhere.

Had a car one time that had the same symptoms. Found that it had a fuel line leak and would suck air. Check your fuel line for rust and the rubber fuel lines for cracks as they are getting old.

gwcowgill said:
Had a car one time that had the same symptoms. Found that it had a fuel line leak and would suck air. Check your fuel line for rust and the rubber fuel lines for cracks as they are getting old.

Yes, fuel lines (metal and rubber) on older vehicles can definitely deteriorate, rub or chafe to the point of leaking.  Obviously when going up hill the engine is working harder using more fuel. Fuel pump is most likely not keeping up with demand or taking in air.

In addition, if you're in the northern California mountains (Redding area?) you should turn the cruise control off.  If you didn't do that, it's possible the engine is working really hard to try to keep up to speed.  When that happens it can't get enough fuel and slows down.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom