Fastest tow sway solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newb2trailer

First Travel trailer purchase.  Scheduled to pick up Monday morning and hope to head out on 3 hr drive.

Forest River Wildwood 26TBSS
Dry Weight 5,790 lbs.
Hitch Weight 815 lbs.
Tahoe LT is the tow vehicle. 

Once to the destination 200 miles away, I plan to leave the trailer on my vacation property until my home is built.  Therefore, it's a one and done move.  Once home is built I will sell the trailer. 
I pick up the trailer at 10:30am and hope to make it to my destination well before dark.  Therefore, I am hoping you all can refer me to the quickest solution for sway or weight distribution, or advise me if I can just get some sort of plug and play hitch for this one time move. 
Thank you
***If the fastest solution is scheduling an appointment at Uhaul?- I don't mind spending some money for someone who is fast.  Speed is the key for me Monday morning. 

Hmmm. Short notice, don't know if anybody will be able to get any equipment installed for you in that time frame.

Make sure your rear tires are inflated to the maximum pressure they will take. I would also strongly suggest to not exceed 55 mph.

Do you have a brake controller installed on the Tahoe? 

Thank you for responding.  Yes.  I do have brake controller. 

55 huh?  If that's the case, the time savings may be negated and I may just try to install the weight distribution bars myself with that extra hour.  Sound feasible? 

Unless the Yukon has the 3.42 rear axle instead of the standard 3.08, that trailer will exceed the Yukon's tow capacity.  And the tongue weight is high, though probably not the full 815 lbs if the trailer is empty when you tow it.

Your best bet is to save the money for the WD hitch equipment and have a professional towing service move it. Most RV dealers have a couple of people that deliver trailers on their speed dial list. 

You will probably spend $350 or so to get your own WD hitch. Does the Yukon already have a hitch receiver with a 2" square tube (Class 3/4 size)?

Setting up a WD hitch isn't terribly difficult, but it is somewhat time consuming to measure and adjust.  You probably don't need a sway control gadget - just be sure the trailer has 10-12% of its actual weight on the hitch and sway won't be a problem. And yes, you should tow at a low speed, 55-60.  The trailer tires have a max speed rating of 65 anyway, and it's not wise to push that limit.

I'd guess you are over the hitch weight limit for a Tahoe (500lb?) so you absolutely need a WDH. If you keep the speed down to 55 max then you can get away with a simple tension bar WDH (e.g. Husky) but you will need one with a 1000lb rating.

But I'd bet you are close to the payload limit of a Tahoe so don't plan to take a lot of stuff or people along for the ride. This could also make the hitch installation a bit more time consuming as you will need to set it up for the weight...it won't likely be a hook it up and go deal.

Thanks for helping me educate myself folks.  I am going to go get one of these or similar today and set up the ball portion so I'm ready to install the WD on the trailer when I pick it up and go for it.  Thanks for all the help and for the speed guidance.  I appreciate your fast responses. 
I would have the trailer delivered but it looks like my well guys are behind and I may need to park at a campsite for a night or two before pulling to my property.  Hopefully I'll make it to my property without any serious damage! 

According to the manufacturer, with my tow package, the Tahoe can pull up to 8600 lbs.  Since I won't be pulling around the country, I will just go for it, slowly.  Now I hope the brake settings are intuitive! 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307218_200307218

Thanks for coming to ask!

First, that 8600 tow capacity is for a bare naked (only base trim standard equipment) plus trailer tow package.  The weight of all options must be deducted, pound for pound.  It also assumes only 1 or 2 passengers, depending on year, and absolutely no other cargo.  You do not have the margin you think you do.

The WD hitch is required to pull it safely around the block.  That much weight on the bumper can lift the front tires to the point steering control is non existent.  The WD fixes this if set properly.

You will be at or a bit above the capacity of the tow vehicle, so do not get in a hurry.  Make SURE the WD hitch is set properly, not fast.  Keep your travel speed down, as stated several times.  Leave lots of stopping distance in front of you.  Be careful!

To set up the TBC (Trailer Brake Controller), after you are hooked up and on an empty road (good luck!) set controller to a middle setting.  Speed up to about 20 mph and stop, using ONLY the TBC.  If the trailer brakes lock up, lower the number one notch and repeat.  If the trailer brakes do not lock up, increase the setting one notch and repeat.  When you find the lowest setting that locks up trailer brakes, reduce the setting one notch and you are good to go.

Hire someone to move it or rent a truck for a day that would be able to handle it. Your Tahoe would not be a good idea.

If you must try, please descend all hills slowly and do not tailgate as an emergency stop could put the trailer in charge and definitely wag the truck around dangerously.  I once pulled a 6300 lb sailboat and trailer with an F-250 with no weight in the box.

That boat whipped me across two lanes of travel and almost in to the center median before I got it stopped.  I had to clean my shorts.

Not fun.  We were pulling less than 40 mph at the time.

Back
Top Bottom