Propane tank filling problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

This RV (listed below) has an attached propane tank. It has not been refilled for a few years and I am down to 20%.

Yesterday, I went to a service station here in Lake Havasu City to get my propane tank filled up.

The propane guy tried but  could not fill it. He couldn't get a drop in.  He caused a large cloud of propane to blow in his own face. It would not connect up correctly.

He said there was something wrong with the angle, his adapter wouldn't fit correctly to my propane tank fitting. But he wasn't real sure where the problem was between his equipment and my TV propane tank.

What was the likely problem?    His stuff or mine?  I will soon try again elsewhere and see what happens, but that will be in a few days or so.

-Don-  Lake Havasu City, AZ

I'm going to say operator error. 
Your tank should use the standard fitting, same as the household tanks.  Maybe his setup was with the smaller fitting used for the BBQ bottles.
Sometimes I had trouble with my old coach because there was a small access door and when they added the return line to the valve sometimes it created  problems, but if your '00 Tioga is anything like my '00 Bounder(also Fleetwood)theres plenty of room to hook up the hose.

I' leaning toward the station guy doing something wrong. (hopefully he didn't cross thread the adapter and ruin your rv tank fitting).  pretty sure a 2000 model rv has had the propane tank filled before so I would have to doubt the wrong angle story.

Had that problem the FIRST time I tried to refill my then NEW RV... Turns out the pump jockey, when he pulled the hose out. snagged the emergency cut off valve in the pump house.

These are but a few of the reasons that I fill at home, if at all possible. If there’s a screw-up....I don’t have far to look!

Go to another location and fill the tank.  I had that happen on our Class C, an RV repair and parts place couldn't get any propane in the tank. Two guys tried to fill the tank.  Said for me to use all the propane in the tank and bring it back and they would probably need to replace the fill connection.  I just drove to another location and they filled the tank w/o any problems.  Incidentally, I saw no indication the first place was trying to rip me off.  They just couldn't get if filled for some reason. 

Had the same problem at at Chevron station once when I needed to fill my propane tank. Operator said their was something wrong with my tank. Wrong! Went to another LP station and filled it without a problem.

Those of you that have experienced problems filling your tanks, if I haven?t misread the posts....it seems that a common denominator is the issues are on motorhomes. The tanks on motorhomes have a check valve on the fill. A conventional bottle doesn?t have a check valve. If the filling location has a weak pump or ?no? pump at all (as at my home, when I?m filling tanks)...they may have difficulty overcoming the tank pressure. Especially ?if? your tank is warmer (higher pressure) than the supply tank. This is truly a ?shot in the dark? explanation, for some of the issues that you folks have had.

sunfighter said:
I'  leaning toward the station guy doing something wrong. (hopefully he didn't cross thread the adapter and ruin your rv tank fitting).  pretty sure a 2000 model rv has had the propane tank filled before so I would have to doubt the wrong angle story.
I too think it was operator error, but I would like to know what the error was.

I just took a look at my tank fitting. It's fine. It has a plastic cap that screws on, and it screws on with no problems at all, so I am not cross-threaded. The threads look fine too.

Anyway, I am going to call the place tomorrow that deliverers propane to RV parks. I hear these guys are usually more experienced. He might be out here on Tuesday.  I will report back here what happens.  I expect no problem.  I am staying at this RV park for a week.  I have been riding around town on my electric motorcycle. Nice area that has a little of almost everything.

Having propane down at 20% isn't much of a problem here in warm AZ anyway.

-Don- Lake Havasu City, AZ

Bill and Debbie said:
Had the same problem at at Chevron station once when I needed to fill my propane tank. Operator said their was something wrong with my tank. Wrong! Went to another LP station and filled it without a problem.
I had my problem at the Chevron station here.

-Don- Lake Havasu City, AZ

I had to take sawzall and cut @ slot the 1/2? inner door lip on the propane door to give those propane guys a straight shot. Before that, it was difficult for SOME of them to get the threads started straight.

I just had my propane tank filled up (~80%) here at the RV park by A&B Propane.  It was the fastest this propane tank was ever filled. No problems at all.

BTW, I always thought it as law that everybody had to be out of the RV and everything had to be off. This guy didn't care about any of that, so I asked. He explained no law, just most of the gas stations are paranoid when they fill propane tanks.

This is why I always ask (politely) if they mind if I make the connection myself.  This is "auto propane".  The connection is to an external acme thread on your attached tank.  It is extremely important that the nozzle be lined up atraight with your tank's connection.  Hold the nozzle upto the tank connection and initialy turn the barrel of the nozzle backwars (ccw) feeling for the start of both threads to slip over each other.  There is a bit of feel involved here.  Once the threads slip over each other, turn the barrel cw to engage the threads then hand tighten.  Also important is the gasket in your tank"s connection.  It must be soft enough to seal against the metal tip of the nozzle.  These gaskets are a rubber washer available at the propane station or at a propane parts supply.  To change; fish it out with an "o" ring hook taking care not to scratch the brass surface of your tank connection. 

newfurrows said:
This is why I always ask (politely) if they mind if I make the connection myself.
Do they usually let you?
newfurrows said:
Also important is the gasket in your tank"s connection.  It must be soft enough to seal against the metal tip of the nozzle.  These gaskets are a rubber washer available at the propane station or at a propane parts supply.  To change; fish it out with an "o" ring hook taking care not to scratch the brass surface of your tank connection.
I doubt if mine has ever been changed. I will look for a new one and get a spare or two.

I keep a few extra rubber fill port gaskets in a small plastic box attached to my regulator cover along with a few extra O-rings for the soft POL on my Extend-A-Stay hose. The fill port takes a 1-3/4" ACME gasket...

DonTom said:
I just had my propane tank filled up (~80%) here at the RV park by A&B Propane.  It was the fastest this propane tank was ever filled. No problems at all.

BTW, I always thought it as law that everybody had to be out of the RV and everything had to be off. This guy didn't care about any of that, so I asked. He explained no law, just most of the gas stations are paranoid when they fill propane tanks.

The "no one inside the RV" varies by state law/regulations.  In Texas we are always asked if anyone is inside the RV.  In Oregon for example, they don't care. 

If in/near Newport News, VA, I highly recommend Dixie RV on Jefferson Avenue.  ?Mr. Propane? is very helpful andfriendly, and does a great job. Supposedly the cheapest in town.

AStravelers said:
The "no one inside the RV" varies by state law/regulations.  In Texas we are always asked if anyone is inside the RV.  In Oregon for example, they don't care.
I was wondering if it were the state laws. That explains it.

Some places have asked us all to get out, but it was ok to leave the dogs in.
I always turn off all propane appliances and generator during propane refill as precaution. Most places (I've been to) ask me to anyway so it's become a habit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom