MS Office slooow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Anyone else have issues with MS-Word and Excel loading very slooowly?

I have open source Open Office and Libre Office, but sometimes need to use the dreaded MS apps.

No issues on this end, using Office 2010 and Win10 (Unrelated, I have noticed a huge hit to performance following ?upgrade? to iOS 11 on the iPhone)

If you are using Office 365 it's loading speed is a reflection of how fast your internet connection.  The same is true if you store your documents on One Drive.

Is this the only application that seems to be slow?

Thanks Russ, but I don't understand, given the 25+MBS download speed. FWIW all my docs are stored locally. I see other apps a little slow to boot up, but nothing as slow as Office 365.

I never understood the attraction to Office 365, or frankly, anything that requires an Internet connection. I'm a fanatic when it comes to cloud-based storage for backup and sharing, but not to run an application.

Willing to learn...

It wasn't an attraction per se. All my other apps are on my PC, and most of my 'office' needs are met with open source software.

I get around 200Mbps at home.  Office 365 is fairly fast.  At work I only get around 90 and I sure can feel the difference.

I tried looking into some tech sites and found a fix for this on a Mac but nothing for a PC.

The attraction is that O365 is cheaper and comes with access to 'One Drive' which gives you access to your files from any device.  But there's dozens of ways to do that.

Thanks Russ. The only reason I need MS-Office at all is that my standalone MS-Publisher no longer works, and I haven't found a usable open source alternative. I put numerous publications together for various organizations, and MS-Publisher is essential.

Are you building PDFs or HTML or something else?  Have you looked at www.majorgeeks.com?  They have a whole section devoted to editors.

Thanks Russ. I have various editors that I use for php, html, etc although I mainly use a plain text editor for that stuff. PDFs are a simple byproduct/export from various apps.

MS-Publisher is a desktop publisher for creating 'publications' such as newsletters, handbooks, manuals, etc. The gold standard for such use is Adobe, but that went subscription some years ago (now known as 'Creative Cloud'). It's also an overkill for my needs. Scribus has been the open source solution touted as an alternative to Publisher for a number of years, but I somehow couldn't get along with it. I might take some time to revisit Scribus.

FWIW most of the stuff I do is for non-profits, and done for free. So open source with an occasional donation would help my pocket v expensive subscriptions such as Creative Cloud.

[quote author=Tom]Scribus has been the open source solution touted as an alternative to Publisher for a number of years, but I somehow couldn't get along with it. I might take some time to revisit Scribus.[/quote]

Made a fresh install of Scribus, but my impression is not much different than before. I tried creating a document with and without one of their templates, and also created my own template. This app might be OK for organizing images in a document (not confirmed), but the text handling is really bad, even with their 'newsletter' templates.

Tom,

A desktop publishing program I used to use is Pagestream. I've not needed it in years, but it was extremely flexible and powerful. The base version is $99, but they have a demo you can download for free, if you want to give it a shot. I actually started with it on the Amiga many years back, then when Amiga went to almost nothing, they ported it to Windows.

It was great for club newsletters, and most other things such as flyers and booklets -- I even created a parts catalog with it for a local company. I was even able to give camera-ready copy to the printing company.

Just another choice for you to think about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom