Adding a bigger hot water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TGibbs

Hi all

My father in law is living in his 5th wheel full time and he recently had the nose enclosed for added storage as well as a large 80Gal LP tank added.
His how water tank is old and needs to be replaced and he is wondering if its possible to add a larger external hot water tank similar to a house under the enclosed nose of his trailer then pipe the water lines into the existing system.

Is this something anyone has done or seen done?

I would love to hear some thoughts or ideas
Thanks

With the freeze problem considered, and he's obviously not moving if he's built a storage room under the nose of his 5er, then I see no reason why a larger HWH can't be installed. I would look at tankless inline heater.

Dick Zeiter said:
What winter temperature does it go down to where he is located?

He is located in the Okanagan area in BC, Canada.
Last winter got temps down to -20*C. Winds make it even cooler as he is right on the lake.
I was wondering if it would help having the enclosed nose insulated with rigid insulation and even wrapping the tank to help when its that cold.  The only problem with insulating anything is the possibilities of rodents trying to make a nest in there.

TGibbs said:
Hi all

My father in law is living in his 5th wheel full time and he recently had the nose enclosed for added storage as well as a large 80Gal LP tank added.
His how water tank is old and needs to be replaced and he is wondering if its possible to add a larger external hot water tank similar to a house under the enclosed nose of his trailer then pipe the water lines into the existing system.

Is this something anyone has done or seen done?

I would love to hear some thoughts or ideas
Thanks
As long as it is elect.  The gas heater must be vented.  Keep in mind it is difficult to connect into the water pipes inside the RV unless they are easy to access.  Even at that you need the proper connections. RV pipes are different from residential pipes.

Also watch out for the water pipes inside the RV which are located along outside walls.  They will freeze if not kept warm. 

I assume there is skirting around all of the outside lower portion of the RV?  If not that must be done in that cold of weather.

I think there are easier ways to get more hot water.  Iif he now has a 6 gallon heater, he could replace it with an Atwood XT model, which would give an effective 10 gallons. Or enlarge the opening (if there is room) and install a 10 gallon XT model, which yields an effective 16 gallons of hot water. The XT model heaters basically work by super-heating the water and then blending in cool water to provide normally hot water at the faucet. That provides an effective increase in the amount of heated water available.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/waterheaterxt.pdf

Another alternative is to add a gas or electric tankless heater somewhere in the hot water lines.

Installing a water heater outside seems challenging in that climate. Obviously it and the associated piping could be insulated well enough to survive, but it would take much care and there will still be more than a little heat loss (meaning more expense to keep the water hot).

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think there are easier ways to get more hot water.  Iif he now has a 6 gallon heater, he could replace it with an Atwood XT model, which would give an effective 10 gallons. Or enlarge the opening (if there is room) and install a 10 gallon XT model, which yields an effective 16 gallons of hot water. The XT model heaters basically work by super-heating the water and then blending in cool water to provide normally hot water at the faucet. That provides an effective increase in the amount of heated water available.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/waterheaterxt.pdf

Another alternative is to add a gas or electric tankless heater somewhere in the hot water lines.

Installing a water heater outside seems challenging in that climate. Obviously it and the associated piping could be insulated well enough to survive, but it would take much care and there will still be more than a little heat loss (meaning more expense to keep the water hot).

His current old broken water heater is an Atwood GC6AA 8E.

Is this 10Gal XT model much larger?
His 5er is a 98 Okanagan 25'.

I am trying to help by getting info but I am 4 hrs away so no way to physically check any measurments.

Thanks

All the models based on the 10 gallon tank are larger than the 6 gallon GC6AA. The XT models are designed to directly replace models of the same physical tank size, so the 10/16 XT fits where a older 10 goes. It's larger than a 6, though, so the hole in the wall needs to be enlarged a few inches in each dimension.

Big question, why does he need more than 6 gal tank?  With two of us rving since 1984 we have never need more than 6 gal tank.  Put in a new 6 gal tank that is both gas and electric.  Dick nvrver

nvrver said:
Big question, why does he need more than 6 gal tank?  With two of us rving since 1984 we have never need more than 6 gal tank.  Put in a new 6 gal tank that is both gas and electric.  Dick nvrver

To be honest i do not have an answer.  He said it would not even last for a quick shower bit now knowing that the tank needs to be replaced, it was probably not preforming very well as it was almost toast.
I talked to him today amd there is a RV rrapir guy going to fix him up this week with just an exact replacement.

Thanks

A 6 gallon heater is not a lot of hot water, especially in cold climates where the incoming water can be very cold, maybe barely above freezing.  Some people enjoy longer showers, and people with long hair often need more rinse time. A 10 gallon heater is usually adequate for them, though, especially RV heaters that can use gas & electric together for fast recovery.

Your uncle should install the XT 6/10 model. It should fit where the existing tank is and provide performance equivalent to a 10 gallon heater.

Back
Top Bottom