Marijuana side topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin Richard lives in a house with two other vets. Richard and one of the other vets are Vietnam vets, the third guy is Gulf One vet. Richard is 100% disabled and I don't know the percentage of the other two. All have problems getting their med's from the VA. All are in constant pain. Since they get their meds at different times of the month they borrow from each other to control their pain. As a side note they were sitting around talking about their experiences one night and Richard and the other Vietnam vet realized they were in the same battle together.

I agree. Those guys should likely be 100% disabled.  Sadly, It sounds like their military service is about all they have left now.

a couple years of service ( many times involuntary)  may have cost those and many other Vets a 100% chance of a productive life.

When I asked the VA about refilling my pain meds (tramadol and hydrocodone) they refused and said they would rather work on my diet instead to reduce inflammation.....OK..nevermind

I have a Vet friend that gets opioid pain killers from VA.
They told him if his blood doesn't show more traces of them, his prescription will be canceled.

They don't want him selling them on Craigs List.

They offer them to me but not with THC in my blood. I always turn them down.

Thankfully as a retiree I am not eligible for VA.  Instead TriCare For Life serves as my Medicare supplement and it is great.  I have a very good relationship with my doctor and we had a good discussion recently where he told me that the government medical agencies are putting a huge amount of pressure on doctors to not treat pain as they have been.  People think every doctor is overprescribing and that is simply not true but every doctor is being told by Medicare that there is a big problem and that some will have to suffer to keep the spread of opioids and other pain meds down.    He also told me that during the Obama years what people called Death Panels actually did exist but not as a panel but as directives telling doctors to slow down on standard testing for senior related ailments.  The prostate test is one example.  He said they have been told not to offer it to older people (I forget exact age) as a matter of course but only if they request the test.  His summary of what he saw during the Obama years - if they are old keep treatments to a minimum.  That to me = death panels.  Thankfully I have never tried MJ and have no desire.

Bill

You have some false news there..

We have 3 groups of people involved in what you are calling "Death Panels"

Doctors
Lawyers
Insurance companies.

A man goes to his doctor.. Conplains of a headache. IN  the old days the doctor examined the head, Checked Blood Pressure (A common cause of headaches) and found out what was wrong and cured his complaint and the patient left happy.

But today we have lawyers advertising... You may be the victin of a bad doctor.

So now the man goes in with a headache, The doctor cures it but misses te gangrene in his toe.. SUE THE DOC, SUE THE DOC

So the Doctor now runs all kinds of tests that have NOTHING to do with headaces. Least he miss somehting elsewhere.

And We have insurance comnpanies demanding the doctors run fewer tests.

You mentioned "The obama years"

This information comes fromn a doctor I used to chat with back in the 1990s  LONG befor Obama, and yes I remember his name and the hospital he iis assoicated with...

Dr. Aurturo Rolla, Endo,  Deaconess Hospital, Boston .

Bill N said:
Thankfully as a retiree I am not eligible for VA.

Bill
To just a Veteran (not a retiree), That's about the same as when Congress says..."Thankfully we're not eligible for Obamacare". 

You government workers get nothing but the best...... ;D

TonyDtorch said:
To just a Veteran (not a retiree), That's about the same as when Congress says..."Thankfully we're not eligible for Obamacare". 

You government workers get nothing but the best...... ;D

FYI -- members of Congress are covered by obamacare.
Just the members.  Staffers are the Federal Employee program. .

Full disclosure first: In the mid nineties I ran the Santa Cruz Cannabis Buyers Club in Santa Cruz, California. It was the second dispensary in the world. We got together with the first club in San Francisco and got Proposition 215 written and passed, the first time marijuana was legalized anywhere in the world since the 30s and the start of the current push to legalize marijuana. There are currently 29 states and the District of Columbia that have legalized cannabis in some form. Mexico and Canada will be legalizing it next year along with many other countries around the world.

As I said, the only people interested in keeping cannabis illegal are those that have a financial interest in doing so. All the people in this thread supporting keeping it illegal have ties to law enforcement. They are not interested in making more arrests for more employment. It all has to do with civil forfeiture. In this country that is a controversial legal process in which law enforcement officers take assets from persons suspected of involvement with crime or illegal activity without necessarily charging the owners with wrongdoing. So the cops can come into your house, confiscate anything of value and not even arrest you. That includes your house, your car, your boat or any other high ticket item. That is the reason why they sent 12 cops with automatic weapons on a simple cannabis bust. This is one of LEOs main money making schemes that is funding all those automatic weapons and SWAT teams. Trample on our rights doesn't seem to bother them at all. No wonder they want to keep it illegal, they don't want a major revenue stream cut off. And the fact that it is retire LEO supporting keeping it illegal is meaningless. Cops always support other cops no matter what. I know, I use to be a sheriff in Ventura County in the 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_forfeiture_in_the_United_States

The lies they are telling is pathetic. Gateway drug. That is so stupid it is pathetic. Calling cannabis a gateway drug to anything is just beyond ridiculous. It is a stupid as claiming mother's milk is a gateway drug to alcohol since 99% of all alcoholics started on mother's milk.

The claim that cannabis somehow inhibits the growth of a child's brain is equally as stupid. There never has been and there never will be any studies to prove this. It is just a lie made up by the do gooders to convince people of the evils of cannabis. How evil can something be if you have to make things up to prove it is dangerous? In order to claim cannabis somehow retards brain development would require a bunch of young teenagers who had never smoked to get a brain scan, then have them smoke for a few years and then do another brain scan. That is not going to happen. Now I am not advocating that young people smoke cannabis, I am just claiming that these claims are hogwash.

As far as driving when stoned goes I personally feel someone who is stoned is a better driver than someone who is sober. I say this because during the 80s and 90s I drove 10s of thousands of miles while stoned or with someone driving who was stoned. I have never had an accident in my life. If I were flying in a private plane and the pilot wanted to share a joint with me I would gladly sit in the cockpit and share it with him. The people who have never been stoned seem to think that being stoned is somehow the same as being drunk. It is apples and oranges. The story of the guy stopping 50 feet from the light is pure fantasy made up by someone who has never been stoned.

The people who think they are protecting out children by keeping cannabis illegal are sadly misinformed. Alcohol is currently killing 88,000 people a year in the US directly, many more indirectly. Prescription drug use is a lot more than that. If these people were really worried about the health of their children they should be addressing these problems instead. Cannabis kills no one. The only real danger of using cannabis comes with the fact you might be arrested. According to the ACLU?s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana. Nationwide, the arrest data revealed one consistent trend: significant racial bias. Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana.

In 1919 the moral majority made alcohol illegal and crime skyrocketed. In 1933 prohibition was repealed and the do gooders looked around for some other way to run people's lives for them. They noticed many Mexicans, blacks and jazz musicians were using cannabis so they made it illegal by running a nasty campaign and made it illegal in 1937. Then in 1971 Nixon was really pissed because the younger generation did not support his stupid war and blamed the whole opposition on drugs, hippies, the Beatles and John Lennon. Nixon commissioned the Shafer Commission to study the problem. The Shafer Commission reported back that marijuana was relatively safe and should be legalized. Nixon promptly buried that report and started the war on drugs. That war has been an absolute failure. Drug use is the same today per capita as it was in 1971. The only difference is the cops are richer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shafer_Commission

The war on drugs has had no effect on drug use in this country however it has made criminals out of millions of people for using a simple plant. The total cost of the war on drugs is estimated at one trillion dollars so far. That is your tax money being wasted which is a lot more than the cost of cannabis overdoses on emergency rooms. But really the war on drugs has been a war on minorities since minorities get arrested far more often than whites do in this country.

I am not so hard on LEOs or retired LEOs because I believe that when they see someone high on pot, it is not just the effects of the pot they are seeing, but a person who has psychological disorders and are using pot to try and make themselves feel better.  Just as the difference between seeing a alcoholic drunk driver as compared to someone who has a couple of beers from time but never drives drunk.

I have said for years that there are people out there who give pot a bad name, just as there are people out there who give alcohol a bad name.

I agree that asset forfeiture is out of hand.  Everyday you read of people being ripped off by this unholy process.

This topic had some good conversations and debates from various people with various life experiences, but it appears the thread has run its course.  Several posts had to be removed due to language/content violations, which is the reason the thread was locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom