Mexico - via ferry from Florida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan T

Has anyone camped recently along the eastern side of Mexico?  I'm considering driving down to Florida from Virginia and then taking a ferry over.  The information on the ferry service is spotty.  It sounds like they still my not have it in place yet, at least embarking from Tampa.

The last time I checked on Mexico a couple years back most respondents were electing not to go or return there given the level of violent crime it was experiencing.  Is this still the case?  I'd love to winter over on some some sandy beach drinking good Mexican beer, (which excludes Corona), and eating fish tacos.

Any suggestions, involving ferry or not, are appreciated.

Back in the late 70s my job took me to Mexico frequently, sometimes weekly, and I loved it down there. Mostly Cabo, but also Mazatlan, Acapulco and once to Cancun. I always envisioned touring the US, Canada and Mexico in retirement, no more. While I?m sure there are areas where people have no problems, I don?t want to rely on luck that those areas coincide with my destinations. Sadly, Mexico is off the list.

Here?s a story on a recent incident which took place in Cancun (previously considered ?safe?), on the beach directly in front of upscale hotels:

https://youtu.be/Rz6t2FEablA

Never heard of a ferry from Florida to Mexico.  Are you sure there is such a service?

I have no experience with going to Mexico in the last 30 years.  However there still are lots of RV'ers going to Mexico.  Those that do go say they don't have problems and love it.  There are precautions they take, such as don't drive at night.  Best to go in groups of 2 or more RV's together.  I don't know much about else about the precautions they take.  Best to try to do some research. 

This has been discussed/rumored for 15+ years, but I don't think that ferry service exists. The last statement from the company, United Caribbean Lines, was that they hoped that enough infrastructure could be established to start service in Spring, 2017. It appears they were hoping that the US and Mexican governments would help get the necessary port facilities, customs procedures, etc. in place.    A report from a 3rd party said the service had not begun as of February, 2017.  There were no further updates in status that I can find, official or otherwise.

Gary,  I'm getting the same information you have regarding a ferry to Mexico from Florida.  It doesn't look like it ever got started.  I could still drive there by going to the Gulf Coast first or even come to Baha, but I'd like to do it with someone else who has been there. 

Any interest anyone?

Wouldn't that be about the longest ferry ride in the world ?

TonyDtorch said:
Wouldn't that be about the longest ferry ride in the world ?
My computer map program shows Tampa to Tampico is about 1000 air miles.  One long trip. 

The long ferry trip from Nova Scotia to eastern Newfoundland is "only" 300 miles and they schedule 14 hours for the trip.

I often thought it would be great to have a ferry from Florida to Texas but don?t see it happening any time soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom