Marathon FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzurd

Heading to Marathon FL mid Dec. Suggestions of a nice RV park would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I would assume all RV Parks are full, if you just intend to drive down and hope to find a spot.  Call and see about making reservations ASAP. 

Chances are the parks will be open by mid December.  The winter season is extremely important to the parks.  If there is any way to get back into operation they will be. 

Also, RV parks in the Keys are typically 100% booked for the winter season a full year in advance. The state parks usually have some sites reserved for use on a first-come basis, though. Bahia Honda SP is not too far south of Marathon, but it is currently open for day-use only. The camping area was pretty much destroyed and the state lacks the economic incentive to make speedy repairs.

I can recommend sites in the keys... but they won't be available...

When we were in the keys last winter, we made reservations for this year.  We were booked at Sunshine key near Marathon for the month of January, but the  reservations were cancelled due to hurricane damage.

I tried replacing even one week of that time elsewhere in the key and couldn't find any availability.  Miami had a few spots available, Naples is where we ended up instead of the planned for keys.

Sunshine Key has been very cooperative trying to book us at other sites, and they have been prompt in refunding the payments we had made.  Maybe next year. (when the rates will be higher due to all of the new or improved facilities...

The bottom-line is that I doubt that there is much available in the keys at this time, and competition for the few  sites will be stiff.

I am curious what you end up doing. I think you will have to stay somewhere outside the Keys and if you are lucky, just make a day trip to Marathon.

Even without the hurricane damages, reservations typically take a year to get.

I have prepaid 14 night reservation for next May that I made last May. They haven't refunded anything yet, but they don't have my spot ready either.

Just hoping by May they do have a spot for me.  ;D

The closest we could find was in Palm Beach County.
We were assured that we can see the highway to the beaches from our pad site, though Lake Okeechobee is actually closer.

We were assured that we can see the highway to the beaches from our pad site, though Lake Okeechobee is actually closer.

LOL! Palm Beach is a big county and that highway might be 25+ miles long!    I know - we lived there for 16 years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom