WIFIRanger Black Friday Sale!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docj

This is not a sales pitch to try to get people to buy WiFiRanger hardware, but if anyone is considering buying a new system or upgrading an existing one, there's a 20% sale going on from now through 11/30.  Just use the coupon code BFRIDAY20 at checkout.

I'm curious...

A couple of years ago on this forum, another RV'er told me the WifiRanger was the only way to go when it came to extending your wifi range and improving the strength of the signal. He got me thinking about the idea but I never pulled the trigger on buying one. At that time, the unit that was attachable to your ladder or flagpole that had a 2 mile range was selling for $350. Now, that same model has doubled in price, selling for $700.

So my curiosity is this: what makes this brand and model so much better than anything else on the market, and what makes it worth $700 when similar items from different manufacturers can be purchased for $150 or less? And does an RV'er have to buy that $700 unit, or will the one just below it that has a range of 1.5 miles do the trick for campgrounds and while on the road? I'm still interested, but not sure if the WifiRanger is worth the price - even with a 20% discount.

First of all, no one should buy such a system on the basis of whether or not they're going to get 2 mile range or a mile and a half.  The days of thinking you were going to get free wifi at long distances for free are pretty much over IMO (if they ever existed).  The purpose of devices such as the Ranger is to make it easier to connect to RV park wifi and to those from stores in whose parking lots you might be parked.  We advertise maximum range pretty much because it's expected of us by our customers since our competitors tout the range of their devices. In reality the distance you should be interested in is from your site to the nearest park access point, usually much, much less than a mile.

As for your recollection of previous WiFiRanger prices, the system you remember at ~$399 was an entirely different product than the one on sale today.  The current one has significantly more transmit power, but there are a lot of other differences, including 5GHz capability, not just power.

Sure, the hardware on which Rangers are based can be bought for significantly less than the cost of a Ranger.  But that hardware doesn't come with the custom software developed by WiFiRanger that makes installation and setup pretty much a "plug and play" process.  If you have the appropriate technical skills, there's no reason why you can't buy the pieces and create a system on your own.  However, our primary customer base doesn't feel comfortable doing that and appreciates the easy to use Ranger software.

Frankly, I think one of the best reasons for using a router such as a WiFiRanger is so that all the devices in my network can remain connected to my router while I connect the router itself to whatever internet source I wish.  That way I can pull into a CG and transfer the entire network to the park's wifi with just a keystroke.  If I don't like the wifi I can switch back to my own source with just another keystroke.  Even when I'm not in a CG, I can choose between my MiFi or either of my phones' hotspots depending on which device had more available hotspot data.

Lastly, there's no reason to characterize all Rangers as costing ~$700.  The indoor GoAC router has far more power and a better antenna than does a laptop or most other wifi-enabled devices.  It can tether a MiFi (Jetpack) and do everything else that its more expensive rooftop siblings can do.  And its price, with the current discount, is less than $300.  Which one is right for any particular person is a personal decision.  If an indoor unit is purchased to start with, an outdoor unit can be added later with full functionality.

Thank you for taking the time to share the above information. I must admit and plead guilty to the fact that I am a complete moron regarding the subject of wifi, only knowing how my home router is set up and the fact that I have a half dozen items relying on it. As far as the coach is concerned, I have my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, an Apple TV and my MacBook that we take with us on vacations. I also have a new Garmin RV GPS that relies on wifi for software updates. When we travel, I try to use wifi whenever possible in order to avoid running up data charges since we have a 3GB plan with AT&T, which effectively gives us 6GB plus any rollover, which will usually be another 2GB every month. When we take a three week vacation, those 8GB are enough to get us by if we are careful with the data usage. But when we take a 5-8 week vacation, which we do every other year, we then can run into problems and must rely on wifi whenever possible. I do not have a MiFi or data card. When we watch television, we oftentimes choose to stream something from our home DVR from DirecTV to my phone, which is then mirrored to my Apple TV so the program can be viewed on the television. We also enjoy watching an MLB game now and then during the summer. That can't happen if we are relying on cell data alone.

Unless the WifiRanger has a substantially stronger antenna than either the phone or computer, I'm not sure why I would want one, now that you have explained that the distance will pretty much be limited to the campground I am in anyway. Previously, it was my understanding that the Ranger would draw in and blend every wifi signal it found within a 2 mile radius, providing an incredibly powerful signal that would then be channeled into the router that all my equipment would be plugged into. I often wondered how those signals could be stolen if the signal was password protected. I was under the impression that I would be able to stream movies or baseball games without issue if I bought one. However, if it is only going to draw the existing signal from the campground wifi, I'm not sure what difference it is going to make unless you are parked at a site that has considerable distance from any of the repeaters the campground may use. That is something I make sure of when making a reservation; I want to be close to the antenna, or one of them.

Please do not think I am attacking your product. Rather the reverse, I am interested in learning more about it from you so I can make an informed decision on a future purchase. Your description regarding your software allowing a virtual plug and play situation is appealing and may make your product much more valuable than the competition if they do not offer the same ease of operation and setup. However, at present, all I have to do is turn on my phone or computer and log on to the local wifi that is offered. Accordingly, I need to understand why it will benefit me to pay $300 or more for a WifiRanger product. I will appreciate your input and advice.

John Stephens said:
Unless the WifiRanger has a substantially stronger antenna than either the phone or computer, I'm not sure why I would want one,

All of the Ranger units have both better antennas AND more powerful transmitters than you will find on a phone, tablet or computer.  Often, when accessing a wifi network, you can "see" the signal being broadcast from the access point (AP) but you don't have enough transmit power to "get its attention" and create a connection.  For example, the rooftop WiFiRanger Elite units have the capability of producing a full watt of transmit power (actual power is dependent on what is needed to make a connection).  Even the indoor GoAC develops 800mW of transmit power.  By comparison, in order to preserve battery life, your phone or other device develops only a few milliwatts of transmit power.

As I said in my original post, I find it very helpful to keep all my network devices connected to a single router (the Ranger) which I can then shift between internet sources as I wish.  I can pull into a park and switch my entire network to the wifi with a single keystroke.  If the wifi is good, I will continue to use it, but if it slows down I can transfer everything back to my own cellular connection with a single keystroke.  In today's world of limits on hotspot data I find myself often shifting usage between my own devices in order to spread the data usage across them all.  Again, the Ranger makes this a easier process than would be the case if each device had to log in on its own.

docj said:
This is not a sales pitch to try to get people to buy WiFiRanger hardware, but if anyone is considering buying a new system or upgrading an existing one, there's a 20% sale going on from now through 11/30.  Just use the coupon code BFRIDAY20 at checkout.
We advertise maximum range pretty much because it's expected of us by our customers since our competitors tout the range of their devices.

Sounds like a sale pitch to me

martin2340 said:
We advertise maximum range pretty much because it's expected of us by our customers since our competitors tout the range of their devices.

With all due respect, I didn't put any of that into my original post which was intended solely to alert forum members to a sale.  I was asked a question about something the questioner had read on the WiFiRanger website and I responded to his question.  I felt that it would have been rude to ignore the question and the information conveyed in my answer is relevant to all WiFi as WAN routers, not just to those sold under the WiFiRanger label. 

martin2340 said:

Martin - I'm sorry, but I must agree with docj on this point. He was merely trying to advise RV Forum users of a sale in his original post. His subsequent posts were in response to my queries, and in all fairness to him, I was actually looking for a sales pitch in an attempt to determine if his product was good enough to buy for the asking price compared to others I have found at various outlets such as CW. He cleared up a mistaken impression I had of his models and I am now glad to have accurate information.

docj - if you think an indoor unit will do the trick for me, I will be much more amenable to buying it rather than spending $700 for the pole mount unit. However, I just ran my coach into the shop and am waiting for a phone call to tell me if I'm going to have to buy a new a/c unit or if they will be able to repair whatever is wrong for an affordable cost. Naturally, that will have to come first over purchasing a wifi unit. Please tell me - does WifiRanger have sales on their equipment at times other than Black Friday during the year? If so, I will be interested in buying one before our next summer vacation.

docj said:
With all due respect, I didn't put any of that into my original post
Docj,
Sorry for the quick response assuming the worst but after going back and re-reading the original post I stand corrected.

John Stephens said:
Please tell me - does WifiRanger have sales on their equipment at times other than Black Friday during the year? If so, I will be interested in buying one before our next summer vacation.

John:

There have been a few short-duration sales on occasion, but there's no real pattern that I know of and those decisions are "above my pay grade" as they say!

Joel

Joel - Thanks for the info regarding discounts. I have spent the last two hours researching both the WFR website and several others regarding installation. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind taking the time to answer them.

You mentioned previously that the GoAC can be used as a standalone unit without an external antenna and can be purchased by itself, adding an outside antenna later. The WFR website has no listing for antennas by themselves and only shows them being purchased as a pack, either with the GoAC in the case of the Elite models, or the Core, in the case of the Sky models. The site also says it is not recommended for the router to be used as a standalone device. Please explain how your suggestion of buying it by itself can be accomplished and adding an antenna at a later date. And, if purchased alone, how effective will the router actually be?

It seems that for most people, myself included, the Sky Pro pack is the way to go. It is less expensive than the Elite and as you stated, one should not really be that concerned about the difference between 1.5 and 2.0 miles of range. Can the Sky antenna be purchased with the GoAC router, or does it have to take the Core? This is only to satisfy my curiosity since I have no plans of creating my own network and don't have the need for a GoAC. I think the Core will suffice. After watching several of the testimonials on the WFR website, I got the impression that all of these parts can be piecemealed together anyway you want.

Has research been done on where the best roof location of the Sky antenna may be - front, back, etc.?

It seems the best place to install the router is in your entertainment center or area. Since mine is located in a slide out, I'm not sure how it can be wired because I have no idea how Winnebago ran the wires originally. If I cannot install it there, do you have suggestions on other good placements? I assume the router will be strong enough to transmit to the entire length of the coach, even if located on one end or the other.

I would like to take advantage of this sale; however, I am still waiting to hear from my mechanic and in this case, I believe the longer it takes for him to call me, the worse the news will be. I may have to wait until Spring to buy one of these units. Rest assured though, that after all the research I have done about this product, I am sold on it. I only saw one negative review among many good ones.

John Stephens said:
You mentioned previously that the GoAC can be used as a standalone unit without an external antenna and can be purchased by itself, adding an outside antenna later. The WFR website has no listing for antennas by themselves and only shows them being purchased as a pack, either with the GoAC in the case of the Elite models, or the Core, in the case of the Sky models. The site also says it is not recommended for the router to be used as a standalone device. Please explain how your suggestion of buying it by itself can be accomplished and adding an antenna at a later date. And, if purchased alone, how effective will the router actually be?

The rooftop WFR units are NOT antennas.  They are complete routers that are designed to work collaboratively with the inside unit.  There are reasons why two independent routers is a better solution than a single one with an outside antenna.  When you wish to purchase the rooftop unit to go with a previously purchased indoor unit, we will provide a purchase price and a link.  There are reasons why some of the rooftop units aren't sold without indoor ones, but it's too complicated to go into here.

It seems that for most people, myself included, the Sky Pro pack is the way to go. It is less expensive than the Elite and as you stated, one should not really be that concerned about the difference between 1.5 and 2.0 miles of range. Can the Sky antenna be purchased with the GoAC router, or does it have to take the Core? This is only to satisfy my curiosity since I have no plans of creating my own network and have the need for a GoAC. I think the Core will suffice. After watching several of the testimonials on the WFR website, I got the impression that all of these parts can be piecemealed together anyway you want.

Has research been done on where the best roof location of the Sky antenna may be - front, back, etc.?
It doesn't make a lot of difference; as close to the middle as possible would provide the most uniform signal coverage.

It seems the best place to install the router is in your entertainment center or area. Since mine is located in a slide out, I'm not sure how it can be wired because I have no idea how Winnebago ran the wires originally. If I cannot install it there, do you have suggestions on other good placements? I assume the router will be strong enough to transmit to the entire length of the coach, even if located on one end or the other.

The indoor unit doesn't need to be near the entertainment area unless you have a piece of equipment that will be plugged in via Ethernet or USB.
  Otherwise, place it where it is most convenient.

I would like to take advantage of this sale; however, I am still waiting to hear from my mechanic and in this case, I believe the longer it takes for him to call me, the worse the news will be. I may have to wait until Spring to buy one of these units. Rest assured though, that after all the research I have done about this product, I am sold on it. I only saw one negative review among many good ones.

Thank you for your quick response. Sorry for the misnomer regarding the antennas. I really didn't know they doubled as their own router in addition to the indoor unit.

John Stephens said:
Thank you for your quick response. Sorry for the misnomer regarding the antennas. I really didn't know they doubled as their own router in addition to the indoor unit.

It looks as if I failed to answer your question about the Core + Skypack vs the GoAc + Spypack.  If you want a GoAc, let us know and we'll quote you a price.

Folks, please take the sales/business stuff to email. I closed my eyes to the original post, although it was made by someone representing the seller in whatever role.

If you want a GoAc, let us know and we'll quote you a price.

A blatant violation of our forum rules. Neither commercial ads, nor solicitations, are allowed in forum messages.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom