Onboard generators - does size matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flagolfer

DW and I are looking into MH's and I stumbled across this forum which has already provided a wealth of information.

My question is - should we grab the biggest generator that will fit?  Some additional information - we're leaning towards a Class A dp in the 38'+ range.  Must have's are a washer/dryer and continuous hot  water.  Obviously, the rig would have a fridge and rooftop A/C.  We do not envision boondocking so most times we probably would be hooked up to shore power at a CG but there might be times we are overnighting at a Flying J or a Walmarts.  So we'd probably run the genny.  Yes, I know we aren't going to run the w/d while traveling but why do generators come in so many sizes?

Thanks.

Most any rv equipped with a generator will have it sized to run all the equipment on board. Some rvs have only 30 amp requirements, so they would have a smaller generator. Bigger, newer coaches have 50 amp requirements and more equipment to run, therefore a bigger generator.

Oddly, our previous 30 amp coach was equipped with a 7000 watt generator, but our current 50 amp coach only has a 5500 watt generator. Both are capable of running pretty much everything on board though. I suspect the variety of sizes used is as much a function of the price point the manufacturer wants to hit as it is the onboard power requirements.

I noticed  many coaches have 6000,7009 or bigger generators  But no more electrical than I have
I have a 5500 watt and have on occasion "Dropped" a line to either a ham radio Field Day operation (Multiple 100 Watt Transmitters. Lights. Antenna rotors, Computers and such) or another RV (I have two 30 amp "Daisy chain" outlets)

To put it in perspective:

1. A 30A powered RV can consume a max of 3600 watts from its main power source
2. A 30A powered RV with two air conditioners is typically wired to run the 2nd a/c off a secondary power line, enabling it to consume about 5100 watts with both a/c running (3600 watts main, 1500 watts secondary)
3. A 50A powered RV can theoretically consume a maximum of 12,000 watts, but typically would not exceed about 8000 watts with everything on and running

As Gary mentioned, our previous 30 amp coach with two A/C's had a selector switch that was used with a 30 amp shore power connection so only one A/C at a time could be run. When the generator was in use, both A/C's could be run at the same time. On our current 50 amp coach, both A/C's can be run at the same time regardless of the power source, but we do have to be cautious when connected to a 30 amp shore power service. Many higher end coaches have an "EMS", Energy/Electrical Management System that automatically balances appliance usage based on the type of service available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom