Power Gear leveler fluid recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old_Crow

I just had all 4 of my Power Gear leveling jacks re-sealed.  When I went to the hydraulic shop to pick them up, the owner was in a conversation with someone else, the gist of which was, don't add ATF to what ever hydraulic system they were discussing, use hydraulic fluid only.

I questioned him after the 1st guy left, because the Power Gear manual lists Type A Dexron III and Mercon IV as acceptable fluids, and he states that I should use hydraulic fluid that they sell for tractors, etc. 
I've been using Type A up to now, per the manual.  I've only had the coach since last Dec, and the jacks started leaking shortly after I got it.  I've added maybe a gallon of the ATF over the year.

Anyway, I don't want to screw up the warranty on the cylinder rebuilds, but then again I don't want to screw up the pump either.  Will I be ok with the tractor fluid?

Probably OK, but "tractor fluid" is not very specific.  Industrial hydraulic fluids come in various viscosity and grades and are designated with ISO specification numbers, e.g. ISO 32, ISO 46 and ISO 68. They have differing temperature ranges, viscosity, psi ratings, etc. For example, ISO 32 is 10W viscosity,  ISO 46 is 20W, ISO 68 is 30W, and ISO 100 is 40W.  If the guy did not specify a particular ISO grade of "tractor fluid", I think he was just blowing smoke.

Despite what the shop implied, Dexron and Mercon ATF are hydraulic fluids, designed to the specific needs of GM and Ford automatic transmissions, which are essentially big hydraulic pumps.  They are both essentially multi-viscosity fluids, designed to stay at a workable viscosity across a broad range of temperatures, so that you don't have to "warm up" the hydraulics to begin using them. Because ATF is widely available, many other systems are designed to utilize it as well. If the system is labeled for use with Dexron III, there is no reason to use anything different.

I checked Tractor Supply Corps website and they offer primarily ISO 46 as "tractor fluid" but carry the others as well. And Dexron III too.

My owner's manual sayx do not use hydraulic jack fluid.  Use only Dexron 3 or Mercon.. I have Power Gear jacks.

ChasA said:
My owner's manual sayx do not use hydraulic jack fluid.  Use only Dexron 3 or Mercon.. I have Power Gear jacks.

Yeah, I read that in the manual.  I just wondered because the guy seemed so certain I should use the hydraulic fluid(not jack oil, but fluid such as a back hoe would use).  I talked to my RV mechanic and we're going with ATF.

As I said earlier, if the guy didn't specify what ISO grade of "hydraulic fluid" to use, he was just spouting techno-babble to make himself seem more important.  Dexron III is similar to the ISO 32 spec, but has some additional additives to  improve lubrication in a torque converter, inhibit corrosion, etc.  There is absolutely no reason to avoid using Dexron III in a system designed for it.

I had it in my mind that one of the additives in the Dexron might attack whatever seals he put in the rams, but I suppose I'm falling prey to the whole "overthinking it" syndrome that I usually laugh at on the 'net.  In the past, I'd have just used whatever was on the shelf in the shop without a second thought. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom