Clattering exhaust fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elviras3rd

Hi! We recently bought a 2015 Itasca Reyo and so far we love it, except for one annoying rattle! We thought it was the fan over the stove, but now we think it's actually the slats that open and close on the outside of the RV where the fan vents. They clatter together and make a really loud racket the entire time we're driving. Has anyone else had a problem with that? If you have any advice for quieting the clanging, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

Yes it happens on my coach too, usually only when the wind is at a certain angle.  Or a semi truck passing.  So it's not constant and  somewhat rare for me.  Your coach air dynamics will be different.  You could try traveling with one of the windows slightly open, on one side or the other, to create some pressure or a vacuum. 

I have a about 1 in cube piece of rubber to hold it open or closed.  I use when it's windy and rattling like crazy.  If it not cold season, I hold it open for months.  If it's quite cold out and I feel drafty air coming in the vent, I will use the rubber piece to hold it closed knowing I can't use the vent until the wind storm passes.   

Many of those fan vents have a tab over the slats that can be operated and hold it closed. They are not expensive and you could easily replace the noisy one with that. (Unless, of course, yours is painted to match a "full paint job", then you will have to get creative.)

You could get creative and rig a twist latch or even a short rod hinged that you can operate with an awning rod. However if I did that, it would never get opened because I would forget  :p.

John Canfield said:
You could get creative and rig a twist latch or even a short rod hinged that you can operate with an awning rod. However if I did that, it would never get opened because I would forget  :p.
Good idea John, but I would want one that latches it open.  I suppose if you leave it latched open a lot, or all the time, the wasps and spiders would find a nice home.  Here in So Cal we have a fraction of all the critters that most of the country has so that would be a big concern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom