Oxygen Concentrator Use On The Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ConductorX said:
We found an ActivOX for around $2700. It is tiny and the most portable unit we found. At the highest setting the battery will last 4 hours and it recharges from 12VDC or 110VAC.  Because my insurance is paying for bottles and a concentrator they won't pay for the portable unit.

Your results may vary.
"CX"
I think your last sentence will apply to me also.  I cannot picture Medicare paying for a portable concentrator when they have already provided me with home concentrator, bottle fill and bottles.  But I will ask around.  I found a Inogen on Craigslist for $1500 and they stated the unit was only 3 weeks old and the user had died.  That may be my best bet but since the travel for this season is over I will have time over the winter to look around.  I really get to huffing and puffing especially when doing hookups at a new site.  A light unit would be a good thing to have especially for that as at 2.5 lbs  it is very doable vs the bottles at about 9 lbs.

Bill

Bill, you are correct in that Medicare will not supply both.  We started with the oxygen cannisters and refill machine, and when we went totally to Inogen 3 years ago they supplied a large continuous-flow concentrator AND the portable unit, so we returned the other system since we no longer used it.  According to our Dr this was fine, and the change has made a significant difference in ambulatory experiences for Diz.  It all depends on what your Dr says you need to have. 

When we lived in Montana, I had a bottle for emergencies and both a concentrator for the house and a portable unit.  The bottle I had was only good for a few hours and was provided to cover incase of power failure.  Medicare with supplement coverage paid for all.  Not sure if the same applies today as that was just over 2 years ago.

I have not been on Oxygen since moving to Oregon but will probably fail my next pulmonary function test and will need Oxygen again so may find out what applies today.

Thanks Diz & Sue and Jim.  I think the choices are getting narrowed down now.  I will ask the Dr if has any experiences with Medicare covering both home and portable units.  I am impressed with the Inogen unit but also see on eBay many many other portable units (all from Hong Kong) that sell in the $300+ range and have near the capability of the Inogen but probably not the quality.  So far I have been doing well on using the home unit at night and a bottle at periods during the day when I have exerted myself.  I know that I sure am sleeping better and mastering the tube in the nose while sleeping has not been as difficult as I thought it would be (I am a twister when sleeping).  Thanks again for all the good info.

Bill

FWIW, I had both units from Imogen and was very happy with them.  There are newer units than the ones I had that are both smaller and quieter based on the ads.  My brother had a portable one that was nice and small but I don't know the brand and he has passed away so no help there.

If you want a particular brand like Imogen, contact them and let them help with the paper work etc.  Imogen was great and made the process easy.

Jim Godward said:
If you want a particular brand like Imogen, contact them and let them help with the paper work etc.  Imogen was great and made the process easy.
I am somewhat hesitant to do that Jim because I am in a great hospital system here.  We use it for all our medical needs and I also use its pulmonary rehab facilities.  When I was diagnosed with the need for oxygen therapy, all of the equipment and support is being provided by that hospital systems (Mercy) DME folks.  I have found that they will come out at the drop of a hat 24/7 for any problem regarding the equipment or my oxygen needs.  They are a phone call away for any questions I have.  I feel very comfortable using their services and, of course, do not pay anything.  Before next travel season, I intend to pursue a portable concentrator for the coach even if I have to buy one.  Inogen looks to be the best on the market despite the high price but I have time to make that decision thanks to the education I have received on this thread.

Bill

Just a short (started out that way) update.  Got a call yesterday from Mercy (oxygen supplier) and they wanted to know if my portable tank was running out fast. Well I have only had the whole system for 6 days and while I do carry the portable tank I haven't used it much outside on errands. Use it mainly only when active doing stuff outside or in the garage.  But she then asked if I thought I needed the demand regulator rather than the continuous flow one they had provided last week.  One of the guys who delivered the equipment told me they would be calling and scheduling a test to see if I could use a demand regulator which greatly increases the lifespan of the portable tanks before refilling.  What is silly is that they are going to give me the same 'walk around the building' test that I took at the Doctors office last week to even get on the Oxygen Therapy program.  So they told me to come in with a portable tank and the old regulator so they could swap it out 'if I qualified' (below 90 on walks).  I am always below 90 unless sitting in my chair and watching TV or computing.....lol.

I also asked her if they handled portable concentrators and she said no because if they fail with you on the road you are out of oxygen.  Hate to tell her but if the full size concentrator fails you are in the same situation. Then she told me they have a smaller concentrator that they loan out (if available) for up to two weeks at a time.  So, that may be the answer but I guess it could fail too....lol  I don't forsee being too far from med supplier where I could rent or buy tanks or have mine filled..

I got a look in person at an Inogen portable yesterday and they sure are nice looking and small.  Anybody have their portable concentrator fail while on the road?  Thanks

Bill

My wife has been using a concentrator at night and has spare bottles.  The only failures we had involve broken parts of the machine, the plastic parts and hoses.  They gave us plenty of spare hoses and water bottles.  The one part that has failed twice already is the plastic fitting between the concentrator and the water bottle.  For some reason the refuse to give us more than one.  Worst case I would bypass the water bottle until I get a part for it.

"CX"

ConductorX said:
My wife has been using a concentrator at night and has spare bottles.  The only failures we had involve broken parts of the machine, the plastic parts and hoses.  They gave us plenty of spare hoses and water bottles.  The one part that has failed twice already is the plastic fitting between the concentrator and the water bottle.  For some reason the refuse to give us more than one.  Worst case I would bypass the water bottle until I get a part for it.

"CX"
My oxygen supplier tells me they do not use the water bottle because it caused a lot of trouble.  The machine is equipped with a place for one but since they do not use it, I don't have it.  Not sure of the purpose unless it is to inject humidity into the oxygen.

By the way I did go in today and swapped regulators to one that can go either continuous or pulse.  That adds a lot of time to the bottles.

Bill

Bill N said:
I got a look in person at an Inogen portable yesterday and they sure are nice looking and small.  Anybody have their portable concentrator fail while on the road?  Thanks

Bill

Bill,
I had the Imogen portable for over 18 months with no problems.  Imogen will overnight parts or new concentrator if there is a problem.  I always had a tank in case of power or other failures.

OOPs, I should have read  all the latest messages before responding. 

BTW, one of my other brothers said that the concentrator my deceased
Bro had was from Phillips.

My DH uses a regular concentrator. If he needs it while we are on the road, I just start up the generator and run it. If he is using it when we are ready to head out, he has a battery jumper/car starter thing that he plugs the concentrator into. It will power that concentrator for at least 10 hours (we've use it over night).  We have a couple of small tanks of O2 for emergencies, and he could use them, but there really isnt a need with the concentrator.

When we were in Minnesota and he had private insurance, the company who supplied the concentrator had a loaner that we could get for travelling. There are a couple different brands. They come with a couple of batteries, an adapter for the cigarette lighter and also a normal plug for the wall socket. It weighed half as much and also consumed less energy to run it. Now he gets it through hospice and they dont have anything like that.

As far as the portable ones failing... thats what the emergency tanks are for.  ;)

cadee2c said:
My DH uses a regular concentrator. If he needs it while we are on the road, I just start up the generator and run it. If he is using it when we are ready to head out, he has a battery jumper/car starter thing that he plugs the concentrator into. It will power that concentrator for at least 10 hours (we've use it over night).  We have a couple of small tanks of O2 for emergencies, and he could use them, but there really isnt a need with the concentrator.

When we were in Minnesota and he had private insurance, the company who supplied the concentrator had a loaner that we could get for travelling. There are a couple different brands. They come with a couple of batteries, an adapter for the cigarette lighter and also a normal plug for the wall socket. It weighed half as much and also consumed less energy to run it. Now he gets it through hospice and they dont have anything like that.

As far as the portable ones failing... thats what the emergency tanks are for.  ;)

Yesterday while at my supplier exchanging regulators they showed me a portable Eclipse concentrator that they loan out for up to two weeks.  But they told me I better have it reserved at least 3 months in advance.  It is quite a bit smaller than the home unit and weighs about half as much but has all the capabilities of a home unit.  Just for fun I priced it out on the internet - $2900-$3200 - Yikes.  So there is one possibility for a short trip.  One comment they made is that this portable is very capable for overnight use whereas most of the shoulder carry portables are not.  (But they advertise as being good for up to 8 hours).  Anyway, I am learning a lot about this subject through this thread.  Please keep those cards and letters coming.....lol

Bill

Jim Godward said:
Bill,
I had the Imogen portable for over 18 months with no problems.  Imogen will overnight parts or new concentrator if there is a problem.  I always had a tank in case of power or other failures.

OOPs, I should have read  all the latest messages before responding. 

BTW, one of my other brothers said that the concentrator my deceased
Bro had was from Phillips.

Jim,
    Did you use your Inogen overnight while on the road?  Regardless of what I have I plan on carrying tanks and finding places to have them filled before leaving.  Haven't found the Phillips concentrators yet.  I have also been meaning to mention that now that I am on oxygen while sleeping I find that I sleep like a rock, something that I have not done in years.  I guess a little O2 helps you snooze.....lol

Bill

Bill N said:
Jim,
    Did you use your Inogen overnight while on the road?  Regardless of what I have I plan on carrying tanks and finding places to have them filled before leaving.  Haven't found the Phillips concentrators yet.  I have also been meaning to mention that now that I am on oxygen while sleeping I find that I sleep like a rock, something that I have not done in years.  I guess a little O2 helps you snooze.....lol

Bill,

No, I cheated by arranging my schedule so that we were at lower altitudes at night.  If you check altitudes while traveling between Bozeman MT and Portland OR, you can chose night stops below 3,000' which is/was my critical altitude at the time.  I did have the house and portable concentrators with me in case we didn't make our planned stops.  I did use the portable unit when we crossed mountains by having it hooked up to the batteries.

Bill N said:
My oxygen supplier tells me they do not use the water bottle because it caused a lot of trouble.  The machine is equipped with a place for one but since they do not use it, I don't have it.  Not sure of the purpose unless it is to inject humidity into the oxygen.

By the way, I did go in today and swapped regulators to one that can go either continuous or pulse.  That adds a lot of time to the bottles.

Bill

The water bottle is only to add humidity, it is, however, going to be necessary if you have to increase your use of oxygen. I went from 2 liters to 15 liters in 8 months.  IF I remember right the maximum you can get from a regulator is 7 liters so they would hook two bottles together with a modified stethoscope to provide 15 liters while exercising in the rehab clinic.  Get the bottle if you can, I had nose bleeds from the higher levels, the oxygen will dry out your mucus membranes so much that a nosebleed became a way of life for me.

Wish you were closer, I have several demand regulators sitting here that I dont use anymore. I like to keep one "just in case".  I looked into a portable concentrator but no one would help pay for it and by the time I saved up monies, my needs had exceeded the amount it would put out. Hope that does not become your situation. Then I went to liquid oxygen which is a real pain to travel with, constantly running low in the Florida heat.

I have one/two suggestions for you if you are using oxygen with a CPAP at night for sleeping. Do NOT increase the number of liters/minute. That can be very detrimental as I found out one night. Stay with the recommended amount, this is one case where "more is NOT better". The reasons why are a little hard for me to explain. Stay on your oxygen and monitor your levels, O2 levels that are too low will damage heart muscles and other organs. In the event, you get a transplant (don't know if you have considered it) you will have a better chance of surviving.

Jim Godward said:
Bill,

No, I cheated by arranging my schedule so that we were at lower altitudes at night.  If you check altitudes while traveling between Bozeman MT and Portland OR, you can chose night stops below 3,000' which is/was my critical altitude at the time.  I did have the house and portable concentrators with me in case we didn't make our planned stops.  I did use the portable unit when we crossed mountains by having it hooked up to the batteries.

Jim you are a real fountain of information.  I had never considered altitudes but will now.  For the next year we don't have any mountain travel planned - mostly just straight north and south to visit our kids and their families in North Dakota, Minnesota and Ontario, Canada.

Bill

catblaster said:
  The water bottle is only to add humidity, it is, however, going to be necessary if you have to increase your use of oxygen. I went from 2 liters to 15 liters in 8 months.  IF I remember right the maximum you can get from a regulator is 7 liters so they would hook two bottles together with a modified stethoscope to provide 15 liters while exercising in the rehab clinic.  Get the bottle if you can, I had nose bleeds from the higher levels, the oxygen will dry out your mucus membranes so much that a nosebleed became a way of life for me.

I looked into a portable concentrator but no one would help pay for it and by the time I saved up monies, my needs had exceeded the amount it would put out. Hope that does not become your situation. Then I went to liquid oxygen which is a real pain to travel with, constantly running low in the Florida heat.

I have one/two suggestions for you if you are using oxygen with a CPAP at night for sleeping. Do NOT increase the number of liters/minute. That can be very detrimental as I found out one night. Stay with the recommended amount, this is one case where "more is NOT better". The reasons why are a little hard for me to explain. Stay on your oxygen and monitor your levels, O2 levels that are too low will damage heart muscles and other organs. In the event, you get a transplant (don't know if you have considered it) you will have a better chance of surviving.

I am a rookie at using oxygen Will but your increase from 2 to 15 liters in 8 months is a real eye opener.  I have never heard of anyone using 15 liters.  I  only use 4 liters when exercising at pulmo rehab and that keeps me in good range.  Plus I do not use oxygen at all when at rest (watching TV/working on computer) during the day but am happy that most of the big box stores now provide electric carts for those who get winded easily (and have bad hips).

Don't use a CPAP so thankful for that and I was told not to increase the oxygen levels much above 3 liters and try to keep it at two.  I think the concentrator only goes to 5 or 6 liters.  I appreciate all the comments from you current users.  My military career taught me to always RTP (read the paper) regarding machine operation but I cannot believe that I have yet to receive an instruction sheet on any of this stuff but YouTube and this forum have covered that gap nicely.  Thanks again

Bill.

Sorry Bill, I mislead you. I looked it back up and my paperwork said 7 L at rest and they tied two liquid oxy canisters together to get 14 L when I was on a treadmill. The small liquid oxy will output just a hair more than 7 each.

I never had a problem with oxygen use around flames or heat when the normal precautions are used.  I still did many of the things I did before. Cooking was a challenge keeping the hose away from the burners (gas stove) and opening the oven was scary to others but I never caught fire. Welding was tricky since I would tie the hose behind me to keep sparks from burning a hole in it. That was with a 40' hose attached to the big liquid tank.

It really saddens me now when I see someone on oxygen since I know what it was like and how disabling the disease can be, hope you never get to the stage I was in. Keep your strength up and exercise. 

Will I am surprised that you can get 14L in a nose cannula without a lot of discomfort.  I have often wondered if it is only the CPAP folks who use face masks.  Seems that 14L would be more manageable with a face mask and I see a couple of folks at rehab using them. 

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom