No LP gas in tunnels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elviras3rd

Hi,
Hubby and I are new to all of this and would appreciate some clarification on the LP gas in tunnels issue. We've heard and read everything from "Don't ever go through a tunnel with LP on board" to "Don't worry about it!"  What's up with that?

Thanks,
Peggy

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,83249.msg753623.html#
This was a thread I posted a couple of years ago with some responses but the bottom line is check ahead and the particular route and get an idea if it is legal or not. I have gone through some with tanks turned off but didn't get caught.

Thank you! So, the take away is that it varies from place to place.  I guess that's another thing to think about before planning a trip!

Thanks again!

By far the majority of tunnels in the US have no propane restrictions, at least for the quantities typically carried aboard RV's. The tunnels most likely to have restrictions are those under rivers, etc., where LP leakage would settle to the lowest point with the potential for a major disaster in the event of an explosion or fire. Tunnels through mountains, etc., tend to be higher in the center for drainage reasons, so any LP leakage would quickly dissipate to the atmosphere. The length of the tunnels can also have bearing on restrictions, but as said, the majority of tunnels have no restrictions, and some cases even where there are restrictions, all that's required is that it be turned off.

Tunnels which restrict propane tanks which are part of standard equipment in RV's have large signs well before you approach the last exit before the tunnel. 

Note:  The signs which prohibit hazardous materials, such as propane tanks, are referring to vehicles which are transporting propane for commercial purposes or a truck or van with tanks not part of an RV.

Some tunnels require RV's to turn off the tanks before entering.  Some have a check point staffed with a person to verify your tanks are turned off.

I have been rolling around the country with campers and travel trailers with propane bottles for 50 years and have yet to check ahead or came upon a tunnel that didn't allow you to go through with propane.  All the tunnels I have been through allowed propane bottles but many had inspection station stops where they check to make sure that the bottles were turned off.  There are tunnels that do not allow propane at all but I haven't identified one on any of my routes and we have been coast to coast several times and on different routes.  A friend says he ran into two tunnels, both up north (NY, New Jersey maybe PA...?) that did not allow propane in the tunnel.  Both had warning signs well ahead of the tunnel and indicated detour routes around the tunnel.  Likely the reason they didn't allow propane was because there was an easy/short way around the tunnel.  Other, even longer tunnels in the state had no restrictions.  In the Tidewater area of Virginia we go through the Portsmith, Hampton Roads and Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnels often and all of those require you to stop for inspection.  I leave my bottle on until I stop at the inspection station.  Then I go inside, turn the fridge off and then let the inspection person watch me turn the bottles off.  At the next rest  stop of easy place to pull off I turn a bottle and the fridge back on.  Note, this is from my experience only...and I haven't been everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom