Adding Extra Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

Has anyone ever added extra windows to their rig?

I am looking at some used rigs and some have too much wall and not enough window.

Windows are good for emotional health and I enjoy natural light.

To me, the hardest part about adding windows would be cutting the existing "studs" and reworking the framing to fit the new window. Hitting wiring may also be a possibility.

You might wish to look at small Class A's instead of C's. That giant windshield and usually driver and passenger windows together with LR windows in most provide a lot of glass comparatively.  I've had both 22 ft. and 32 ft. class A's so size shouldn't be an issue. And they were bright!

Ernie

This trailer has windows that look like they may fit between the "studs". That would eliminate cutting them, and only have minimal boxing in to do at the top and bottom.
Are you looking for something to put on your lot in Florida? Maybe a trailer would be better than a motorhome.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2015-prime-time-lacrosse-travel-trailer-floorplan-luxury-lite-324-rst-tr21875

I am looking at old motorhomes, travel trailers and 5th wheels.

I think once I move out of my Class C it will sell easy enough then I want to get an old camper van for occasional side trips and as my doggy car. I have not owned a car in 8 years. I don't plan to drive much, so a van should be fine I don't need a tiny 50 mpg car, though I am partial to those super tiny cars, I forget what they are called. I am just not interested in being stuck in traffic every day. Oh Smart cars, I like those! But it will mean doggy has to stay home more.

Last time I drove a car, I was trying to coast to the red light thinking I was in my heavy rig and the car came to a stop about 500 feet short of the light. LOL!  I was also making wide right turns...

If I get a Class A then I have to think about moving it around to keep it lubricated. So I am partial to 5th wheel or travel trailer. But too many have too small windows for my taste, so probably going to go with older model when the builders weren't terrified of windows.

Many older rigs have bigger fridges too. How odd!

Be careful, particularly with fivers, or you'll find yourself driving an F350. Trailers are usually ok with a 250 or even 150 since they don't load the tow vehicle as much. None of the real small cars will, pull anything and most cars realistically are in the same category.

Ernie

Since I bought an RV lot, I am thinking of parking my 5th wheel on it without a tow vehicle. I realize that could be a problem during the next hurricane, but hopefully I will either be able to escape in my Class C or a van. I will put insurance on the 5th wheel.

My park does provide free parking for an extra RV, so it's possible I could keep the C and live in the 5th wheel. I am amazed at the number of owners here that have 2 RV's.

It's not all that difficult to add a window to an RV anywhere there is a blank wall. RV windows and wall construction are simpler than in a stick house.  Any handyman type should be able to do the job for you at a reasonable price, say $150-$200 plus the price of the window. You can get an idea of window costs at sites like these:
http://www.all-rite.com/windows
http://easyrvwindows.com/rvwindows.html

Thanks Gary for the links.

Awhile back I met an RV tech who said it was possible to add more windows to an RV.

Those folks building these things need to consider that some of us want to see our world, not hide from it. Plus it's a proven fact that windows are terrific for emotional well being.

We should be happy campers! ;D

RV designs have changed with the times, just as houses have. So many folks nowadays cannot imagine life without air conditioned comfort (for both temperature control & noise abatement) or mucho privacy, so windows have become fewer and smaller. Personally, I prefer lots of windows and have them open whenever possible. Whether home or RV.

You should see my 5er Cynthia. Tons of windows. The cats really love it because they have the ability to sit and look out any of them since there is either a table or a counter in front of each window. And so much wildlife for them to watch, it is like CTV (cat television). I am still holding on to the coffee maker for you.

SeilerBird said:
You should see my 5er Cynthia. Tons of windows. The cats really love it because they have the ability to sit and look out any of them since there is either a table or a counter in front of each window. And so much wildlife for them to watch, it is like CTV (cat television). I am still holding on to the coffee maker for you.

It's funny, today I was sitting on the couch and buddy, my co pilot, was sitting on the back of the couch looking outside through the jealousy window. He started crying a little and I looked out the window and right on the side of a palm tree which is less than 2' away from the window was a squirrel. They were starring at each other. It lasted about 30 seconds.

Rene T said:
It's funny, today I was sitting on the couch and buddy, my co pilot, was sitting on the back of the couch looking outside through the jealousy window. He started crying a little and I looked out the window and right on the side of a palm tree which is less than 2' away from the window was a squirrel. They were starring at each other. It lasted about 30 seconds.
I have a large oak branch that is a few feet away from my dining room window. When I first walked in here after it was parked I was a bit disappointed that so much of my view was being blocked by a tree. However there are two squirrels that live in the tree and the cats love to sit and watch them.

Attachments

• Jane and squirrel.jpg
    Jane and squirrel.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 34
SeilerBird said:
I have a large oak branch that is a few feet away from my dining room window. When I first walked in here after it was parked I was a bit disappointed that so much of my view was being blocked by a tree. However there are two squirrels that live in the tree and the cats love to sit and watch them.

All it needs is a little pruning.  :eek: ::) ;D

Typically no large blank walls - big spaces usually get cabinets of some sort, or a tv screen. However, bunk areas, baths and hallways may have room for at least a modest sized window. Sometimes a bedroom too.  Maybe not for scenic viewing, but extra light for a more open feel.

And if you would rather have a window than a cabinet, they can always be removed.

I've been spoiled with my little old 28' Class C (no slides) which has 14 windows, most of them large. Of course this has meant a lot less storage area, but I do love the natural light flowing inside, the views outside,  plus I like fresh air.

Now that I am shopping around for something different, I am amazed at how some rigs have such tiny little windows or no windows. Some windows are missing as much as a  third of their light because the designers are obsessed with big goofy valances that could have been put above the window rather than covering a huge portion of it.

Some have sinks that face a wall. If you eat at home a lot, then there is a lot of sink time. Who wants to stare at a wall?  A sink facing the living area or a window is a must have for me. Some rigs have tiny sinks, did our pots, pans and dishes shrink cause it's an RV?

RV designers should spend a year living in a rig as an internship.  ;D

DearMissMermaid said:
:)) :)) :)) :))
;D see how many survive.

I have a friend that bought a sandpiper fifth wheel it has floor to ceiling windows on the main slideout his dw had to have it but now doesn't open the blinds. ???

On my motorhome I have to use the ac even in winter because the windshield is facing south it will get into the 80's inside when it's 40 and sunny outside. Free solar heat 8)

[/quote]

I worked in industry for (most of that time in oil and gas) 40 years, and have always thought the same about engineers! If they had to work with their designs....many would be built differently!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom