Replacing a Lenovo laptop keyboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Call me a klutz, but I occasionally spill a liquid on my keyboard. Last time around it was a full glass of wine that I misplaced on the edge of a 'high' ceramic coaster. Chris immediately got her hair dryer out, but that was probably not the best move. After a few weeks of repeatedly escaping out of a stuck key, I ordered a replacement keyboard for my Lenovo laptop.

Cheap on amazon, and delivered from China under Prime.

This was the easiest keyboard replacement you could imagine. Only two screws on the back of the Lenovo let the keyboard loose and the replacement installed. No more stuck keys  ;D

Thanks Don. I knew there was a reason I kept the old one.

I've had refurbished Lenovo's for many many years. I've swapped out a lot of parts and they just keep on ticking after taking a licking.

I've used "University of You Tube" to learn all about swapping out parts.

I may have to take my Lenovo in for repair sometime in the very near future. One of the hinges (left side) appears to be cracking internally. I leave the screen open all the time to minimize the use of that hinge to prevent total breakdown.

Rene, unless I have a need to go somewhere with the laptop, I use an external monitor and don't need to open the Lenovo.

Hello everyone,

Lenovo laptops, to be more specific the Thinkpad ones they took over from IBM, used to be just great. I have used them every day for the past 15 years, and they just keep on working.

And they have lots of spare parts suppliers on eBay, plus complete instructions on replacing every single one of them, on their Hardware Service Manuals which are available publicly at their website, just download the one appropriate for your model and with that plus a Philips screwdriver, basically anyone can service them.

That said, I've heard that in the last 2-3 years their quality had been slipping  very noticiably. When the time comes for me to replace my current Thinkpad (which I purchased in 2012, and expect will still last me a little longer), I will probably go with an HP Zbook.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Hi Rene,

Rene T said:
I may have to take my Lenovo in for repair sometime in the very near future. One of the hinges (left side) appears to be cracking internally.

The hinge is one of the most common failures; my previous Thinkpad had to have them replaced 2 or 3 times over its lifetime.

The replacement part cost like $15 on eBay, and was very easy to replace after downloading the appropriate Service Manual from Lenovo's website.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

After finally giving up on Dell (I was a devoted "I have a Dell" user), I went with Lenovo.  I figured since it used to be IBM, it had to be good, right?  Well, the first one went south in about 7 or 8 months.  The touch screen quit touching.  I don't actually use that feature much (but sometimes it's great), but still.  I had it replaced under warranty.  The one I got (currently using, even as I type), has been great.  No problems yet.  It is actually a better model, but much heavier.  Anyway, I hope it holds up.  I was so fed up with Dells crapping out on me, I had to go with something else.  It was between HP and Lenovo, and Lenovo had a better deal at the time.  And to know there are replacement parts out there is a nice bonus.

When I worked a corporate gig we ordered laptops by the thousands.  When Lenovo bought the business from IBM the infant mortality rate on new laptops skyrocketed to over 30%.  Hopefully they have improved.

That said, replacing a keyboard is relatively easy.  Just google "replacing keyboard on Lenovo 'model number'".  I work on Dells, HPs, Lenovos, Toshibas.  None of them are easy to repair anymore.  One has to split the case to replace the stupid hard drive!  I always use google to find the exact model I'm working on. 

I find it helpful to have a few old film containers to put screws in.  Usually the case will have a few different styles & sizes.  If it's not obvious which goes where masking tape makes a great label.

VallAndMo said:
Hi Rene,
The hinge is one of the most common failures; my previous Thinkpad had to have them replaced 2 or 3 times over its lifetime.
The replacement part cost like $15 on eBay, and was very easy to replace after downloading the appropriate Service Manual from Lenovo's website.

Thanks Vall. I'll look into that.

8Muddypaws said:
Usually the case will have a few different styles & sizes.  If it's not obvious which goes where masking tape makes a great label.
I use a piece of cardboard the same shape as the notebook. As I remove a screw I poke it into the cardboard in the same position it came from.

Tom_M said:
I use a piece of cardboard the same shape as the notebook. As I remove a screw I poke it into the cardboard in the same position it came from.

Jeez, you're no fun.  Don't you know it's all about having the leftover screw you don't know where goes?  Or you're short a screw that you need?  C'mon man.

edjunior said:
Jeez, you're no fun.  Don't you know it's all about having the leftover screw you don't know where goes?  Or you're short a screw that you need?  C'mon man.

Quite a few members here are short more than 1 screw

You are lucky. The last time I changed a keyboard on a laptop I had to virtually disassemble the whole laptop and it took me almost an hour. Thank heavens for a YouTube video. :)

The replacement keyboard for my Lenovo was $25.99 with free (Prime) shipping from China. Two screws and it was out, unplug the ribbon cable, and reversed the process to install the new one. If I'd put one hand behind my back, I could have done it in well under 5 minutes; No luck involved.

I have a Lenovo Edge that we got 2 years ago. The first one we got worked well for one day. The second day when I turned it on, I could not get it to do anything but type the number 6 in the password box no matter what key I typed. I took it back and told them I needed an exorcist. After messing with it for awhile, they agreed. I got a new one and its been really good. My wonderdog Hank d' Structo knocked a water bottle over on it and drowne the keyboard. It didnt work for a couple of days, so I ordered another computer. Of course, the day I got the new computer, the Lenovo started working again. :) 

I quit buying HP's a few years ago. I was going through them about every 18 months, and I am gentle with them. It was always a hardware failure of some sort.  One was nearly $1000. Was supposed to be a "gamer heavy duty" model. It failed at just over a year.  The wife and I both have an Acer now. About 3 years into them and they are still functioning, but the DW's is starting to show signs of a failing network card. May try an external network adapter to see if it brings it back. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom