Houston I 10 going west daytime, Best time to Travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailor Bill

We will be traveling thru Houston on the 30th and would like a little info on what would be the best time traffic wise to do so during the day time  hours.

Thanks, I was kinda thinking 10 to 11 am but never having traveled thru that part of Texas I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask a few folks there opinion.

If you are not in a big rush and want to avoid Houston, take TX105 from Beaumont to Navasota then head back down to I-10 on one of the highways heading south or southwest.  105 is generally a good highway, though much of it is 2 lanes and travels through mostly low population density areas, though the exurbs of Houston are starting to grow out that far on the north side.  If you take I-10 you will be dealing with about 75-80 miles of continuous cityscape, maybe more as it is been over a year since I was west of Katy on I-10 and Houston is one of the fastest growing cities in the US.

Going west, the best time would be either roughly 9am to about noon, or 1pm to about 2:30 or 3pm.  Traffic will still probably jam up right by downtown (it's a horrible "squiggle" of a road), and again coming up to I-610 (just lots of cars period).  It might slow up a bit close to Beltway 8 also, but usually not quite as bad.

Also keep in mind that one incident (wreck or whatever) could lay waste to any of this.  It doesn't take much for people to get stupid here.

I would not do 105 only because of Conroe.  The traffic is just too bad through there these days, even if you took loop 336 around, though if you did decide that, you would definitely want to take that loop around (going north around the loop would be better).  And again, one wreck, especially as you got closer to Conroe would render all the above null and void.

Good luck.

If you are going through Texas, altogether, take 105 out of Beaumont, follow to Brenham, then take US-290 westbound. It will take you back to I-10 west of Kerrville.
Austin can be a bit of a PoA but nothing like Houston.

It might cost you an hour or two on the overall trip, but I found it to be a lot more pleasant than the madness of I-10 through the Houston Megopolis.

Many Thanks to all that replied , we have a spot reserved at Columbus Tx for the night so we will cut straight thru on I 10 and hope there aren't any accidents . We are not on a fast paced trip so if we do get jammed up its not that big of a deal other than my butt clenching the seat. I will try to hit the city limits about 10 AM and hope for the best.
Again , Thanks

We usually try to go through most big cities in the 10-11:30 time frame which seems to have the lightest weekday traffic.  Second best might be about 1:30-2:30.  Sunday also is good unless there's some big event like a football game.  If the city has a university with a well-known college football team you should try to avoid it on game day.

ArdraF

You'll do fine.
I've also run straight through. I just prefer the country routes.
If you survive Baton Rouge, you can handle anything Houston can throw at ya
;)

With a smart phone and Google Maps or similar app to track traffic conditions you will know if I-10 is totally clogged to make you take 2-3 hours to get though, then you can take I-610 north or south, or a toll road around.

My impression of Houston rush hour traffic is that it begins around 5AM and ends around 9PM with no break. Seriously, last year when we went through town, we hit Houston at 1PM thinking we would avoid the lunch rush and be well before the afternoon rush to go home. No chance. It took us 2-? hours to make it through town on I-10 and traffic was so slow, I lost my cab a/c in the coach and had to roll down the windows. I have also driven it at 7PM and it takes the same amount of time. Houston is a great town, but its traffic is terrible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom