Setting up a single LP Tank from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny

Hi all,

I'm ready to set up my "one" LP tank on my homemade travel trailer.  I don't understand the lingo of parts I need but it seems simple enough.  Can anyone just give me an idea of the parts I'd need?  What I have so far is a 1/2" galvanized pipe sticking out next to where the tank is going to go.  What parts do I need from there?  I have a friend/technician who will do the work but I need to be prepared with the parts, and besides that, I like understanding all my systems.

Thanks for any help at all. 
Jenny

First, you need a dual stage regulator.  Propane is stored at about 100 PSI, the regulator reduces this to 0.5 PSI to go to your appliances.

Then you'll need a way to connect the regulator to the tank, and the regulator to the plumbing.

BTW, you can't use galvanized pipe in a gas system.  The galvanized coating will flake off of the inside of the pipe and plug the small gas orifices in your appliances.  What you want to use between the regulator and the appliances is black iron pipe and fittings or copper tubing.

Replace the galvanized pipe with black iron, as Lou described. You can get black iron pipe at Lowes & Depot as well as LP gas shops and many hardware stores. They will probably even cut it to length for you and thread it for the end connector.

Assuming you will use a DOT standard LP bottle, e.g. the common 20 lb BBQ tank, you need a regulator such as the one linked below. It screws directly into the LP bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URO0ZU4/ref=asc_df_B00URO0ZU45279156/

Coming out of the regulator I would use a short flexible low-pressure gas hose or copper tube to connect to the pipe. The flex hose accommodates vibration and allows you to alter the position of the LP bottle slightly when you connect and disconnect, making it much more convenient.

An alternative is a combo regulator and hose such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Propane-Regulator-Certified-Heater/dp/B00CHV8TV2/ref=br_lf_m_5fdwt4c885766gw_ttl

Thanks for your help gentlemen.  I did change out the pipe to black iron pipe.  :) 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom