Trend transmission issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marknowicki

Hello all.  I am new to the Forum.  Just purchased a new 2017 Trend.  Gas front wheel drive. It's awesome except for one issue.  The transmission will not hold 6th gear at highway speeds. On cruise control it frequently drops into 5th then up to 6th.  Even on level road at 65mph.  I know I could limit the transmission to 5th gear but was told by a Promaster tech at dealership that is not good.  Too much heat for the clutch plates. Wonder if the shift points need to me repogramed?  Tow haul mode makes no difference. Any thoughts Gents??? Thanks for any ideas.

That certainly doesn't sound right. I'd make an appointment with a Ram Promaster dealer and ask them to check it out. Transmission issues aren't the sort of thing a Winnie dealer can help with, and the chassis warranty is from Ram.

Until you get an appointment to get it fixed you should certainly lock out 6th gear as the constant hunting and shifting is what creates heat and will ruin the transmission. It sounds like the tow haul setting is not functioning.

Most likely 5th & 6th gears are both overdrive so they will tend to downshift when put under a load.

If you are saying it drops out of 6th on a level road with no head wind then that could be a problem.

If, on the other hand, it is dropping out of 6th when you go up a slight hill, or over an overpass, or you are driving into a 15-25mph head wind then that is probably normal.  Especially if you have the cruise control on.  The cruise control reacts slowly to slight inclines.  Your speed starts to drop 1-3mph and then the cruise control wants to get the speed back up to the speed it was set at so it pushes pretty hard on the accelerator which will cause the transmission to down shift.

Thank you for this input. This makes perfect sense. Yes it happens usually w the cruise control engaged. Will take it in this week for oil change and go for a drive w the Promaster dealer.  Ty again. Marknowicki

Back
Top Bottom