ATV quad in the truck bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcortez

2006 2500 Dodge Ram short bed......six foot 4 inches long or seventy six inches

I want to carry a quad that is eighty two inches overall length.

The tailgate would need to be down.
Except it hits the Husky jack power head on the trailer when fully down.

What would be the best way to keep the truck tailgate propped up to clear the tongue jack head?

I have yet to turn the Husky jack sideways to allow for a couple of more inches in clearance.

If the above won't work....the tailgate will just have to be left behind......the quad rear tires will be well inside the bed with only slight overhang off the back end of the bed..about 8"

Update:......the holes do not line up on the Husky jack head unless turned into the plastic propane tank about 2"

I think you will need a bigger truck. The trailer and the quad will probably put you over the weight limit for safe towing. Let's see the numbers for your truck, trailer and quad.

Could you use a "C" clamp attached to the bed lip and attach the tail gate cable to the clamp.  On my truck, the tailgate cables can be easily detached/attached.

SeilerBird said:
I think you will need a bigger truck. The trailer and the quad will probably put you over the weight limit for safe towing. Let's see the numbers for your truck, trailer and quad.

677# wet weight for the quad
600# trailer tongue weight
2020# lb yellow sticker

'600# trailer tongue weight' Is that wet or dry and what is the loaded weight of the trailer? I agree with Tom, you might be pushing the limits. Every so often the RCMP highway patrol goes on a blitz cracking down on overloaded non commercial trucks, they see two snowmobiles on a standard bed 1500 it's time to pull over and have a chat.

Roy M said:
'600# trailer tongue weight' Is that wet or dry and what is the loaded weight of the trailer? I agree with Tom, you might be pushing the limits. Every so often the RCMP highway patrol goes on a blitz cracking down on overloaded non commercial trucks, they see two snowmobiles on a standard bed 1500 it's time to pull over and have a chat.

Loaded weight CAT scale........5510#
Tongue 600#

600# tongue
667# quad
2020# yellow sticker
700#+ UNDER max

Take tailgate off and place under quad secure for travel and away you go!
Happy trails

My first thought was the same as Tom, but you have been here long enough to know about weights.  The weight you quoted prove this.  Keep passenger and other cargo weight under  750# and you are golden.

I like that tailgate adjuster!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=quad+ramps+for+truck+box&rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA610CA656&hl=en-US&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyxvTz0tjXAhVW8GMKHYqpCZoQ_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=OFpcPUzHe25SzM:

grashley said:
My first thought was the same as Tom, but you have been here long enough to know about weights.  The weight you quoted prove this.  Keep passenger and other cargo weight under  750# and you are golden.

I like that tailgate adjuster!

Turns out this firm cannot supply a weight limit for that adjuster.
All they could say is "It should".....

Cancelled the order

nibroc said:
if the op has a cummins there will be no problem hauling the quad in the bed

Interesting!  I didn't know that a Cummings would stretch the truck bed.

How about building a ramp in the bed. It could start at the rear of the bed at the tailgate and go uphill to the top of the bed rail next to the cab. I wonder if that would be enough to be able to close the tailgate.

X2 Rene
I just talked with a guy who built metal ramps and winches it up. After it's in place he chains it down and closes the tailgate.

If it's only a small amount could you deflate the tires enough to close the gate? I carry a small quad with all four tires removed and stowed under a larger quad. Could you remove two tires?

QZ said:
X2 Rene
I just talked with a guy who built metal ramps and winches it up. After it's in place he chains it down and closes the tailgate.

If it's only a small amount could you deflate the tires enough to close the gate? I carry a small quad with all four tires removed and stowed under a larger quad. Could you remove two tires?

I am not sure just yet......have not bought this quad just yet.
The one I use now is a 72 overall length.....the front frame bars rest on the bed front with the rear tires about 3" inside the bed.
I can get the tailgate closed no problem.

The new quad is overall 82 inches. I don't know where the rear tires would sit right now but deflate some or remove could be an option

I suppose the easiest solution is to just leave the tailgate behind when I head out with the quad and trailer loaded up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom