Minor Roof Repair on RV with rubber roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalman RVer

I did some very minor roof repairs on the roof of our 2007 Glendale around some of the vents & at seams where the rubber roof membrane meets the trim pieces at both ends, where small cracks had formed. I chose this Dicor self levelling product which was recommended at the local RV dealership where we bought the RV in the early summer. Is this a good all around product to make small crack repairs on an EPDM membrane? It seemed to work ok, but I am new at this. I used some methyl hydrate on a rag to clean the spots before applying the sealant.
What is a good product to use for cleanup of the mess where it got on the caulking gun & the hands?  I used lacquer thinners this time. 

Attachments

• Dicor1.jpg
    Dicor1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 15
The Dicor is an excellent choice - pretty much the standard solution. The alternative is a sticky tape known as Eternabond, or the equivalent tape product from Dicor. The tape is superior for cuts or covering broader areas and works well on any smooth surface. The Dicor lap sealant is better where a squeezable caulk is more convenient to apply.  If you already had a caulked surface, more Dicor is probably the best answer.

You should be careful with strong solvents on EPDM, but using a little on a rag is OK. I prefer mineral spirits on a rag because it is lower risk of damaging the finish or loosening an adhesive, but the mineral spirits won't work as fast or quite as easy as the methyl or lacquer thinner.

The roof membrane on our Glendale looks to be in good shape to my untrained eye.  It will be coming up on 11yrs old now assuming that it is the original from new.  Just curious to know how long a EPDM roof may last on an RV if taken care of?

It could easily last 20-25 years with moderate care and a bit of luck.  The membrane is rarely where the leaks start unless there is physical damage - it's the caulked seams and edges around roof openings (vents, skylights, etc) that leak.

Care mostly means seam maintenance and avoiding tree limbs and such that can cause tears.  An occasional washing helps too.

Acid rain can shorten the life a rubber roof, but there isn't a lot to be done about that except indoor storage. Acid rain/dew can occur if near any "smokestack" industry, but acid rain clouds can travel hundreds of miles too.  Can't do much about weather!  So-called "rubber roof treatments" won't help either.

The roof penetrations for the various vents & fans have the weather guards over them on our unit to stop rain from entering when things are open.  I suppose the weather guards should be taken off to inspect each location properly?  Looks like they are held down by four SS fasteners each.

Back
Top Bottom