Fiber Glass Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Free Spirit

I have a friend looking to by a pre-owned 36' Class A Motor Home. The current owner has replaced the roof with a fiberglass roof. I dont know what the previous roof was and how professionally it was done. What should he look for in the way of defects?

It is a 36' 2003 Dolphin LX with a gas engine with 105,000 miles. Is this or could this be a problem if it were meticulously maintained?

Only one reason the roof would have been totally replaced. My bet is it leaked like crazy. With that many miles on it, I would keep looking. Tell them not to get in a hurry. A good deal will come along sooner or later. You will wish it was later if you buy into someone elses massive headache.

The 2003 Dolphin had a TPO roof originally and that's a good reliable material. No way to know whether it got damaged somehow or simply that the previous owner didn't trust any type of fabric membrane.  The new roof will be as good as the installer made it. The fiberglass sheet itself would not be a concern, any more than the original TPO sheet was. Roof problems, if any, are at the seams and around openings (skylights, vents, antennas, etc) and that depends on the quality and ongoing maintenance of the caulk (sealer) used. You should check for signs of leaks the same as you would do on any RV, and evaluate what you find. Most all RVs have suffered water leaks at some time - the question is whether there is any resulting damage to structure, wall skins, or flooring.

We bought a new 2002 Dolpin LX and put about 50k miles on it in 4.5 years. Our main complaint were that the bedroom was damp in wet chilly weather, seeming to accumulate unusual condensation. Dinette upholstery needed to be replaced in just 4 years and the cabinet door hardware was shoddy crap, but perhaps that has probably already been dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom