REPLACING a rear view camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeylikesit

Good morning all,

I started a new topic because I am replacing a rear view camera, meaning; there is already a cable in place. This differs from most of the responses in other threads, which refer to the difficulty in running the cable.

so:

I have a black and white camera mounted on the rear of the rig, in a housing. Looks to be un-accessible, but I have not really dug into it.  Also have a big ol' ugly CRT type display hanging in the cockpit of the coach.

I'd prefer to use a wired camera, as to prevent any potential interference.  All the wires should be there..........

Any suggestions on a camera system that would be a good choice?

thanks!

When I replaced my existing rear view camera system, which like yours, already had a monitor, cable and rear camera, the problem I ran into was that the old cable was not compatible with the either the new monitor or new rear view camera. I had hoped to keep the old cable, but short of splicing both ends, I had to replace it entirely. I bought my camera system from Rear View Camera, a company in New York that sells systems for buses and trash trucks. Some others on this forum have bought from a company in California called Tandi Brothers. You may want to contact the company you choose to buy the monitor and rear view camera (hopefully the same company) and ask them what kind of connectors their equipment will take, and if they are compatible with your old cable.

If you're okay with just replacing the inoperative part and don't have to have a whole new system, Colaw Salvage in Missouri has a whole shelf unit full of used monitors and cameras for the old style systems.  I didn't price any of that stuff, but as many as they have, they ought to be cheap.

Just about anything you buy today will be much better than your old system ever was.  It is really impressive the quality of image one gets out of a $15 camera these days, what is more expensive is a good monitor that gives you a bright image in daylight without the need for a sunscreen hood.  One note though you may need plug adapters for the cable if your old system used something other than RCA phono plugs, these adapters are out there, I would suggest trying ebay for them.

thanks folks! 

definitely all good points to consider.  Wireless is probably going to be the easiest to install, I'm just not sure how well that little wireless antennae on the camera is going to hold up in the sun..... 

Back in 2010 our backup monitor went out. At that time we upgraded from B&W to color, so had to change all the camera's, also. We purchased through RV Cams, Baton Rouge, LA. They were very knowledgeable and helpful. We were able to use our existing wiring, but may have needed adapters.
877-378-2267
[email protected]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom