Looking for a special 110 Volt AC switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Is there such a thing as a 110 Volt AC standard household switch except that it instead of just 2 positions,  On/Off, it would have three positions. Up would be ON, middle would be OFF and down would be ON. I want to turn on 2 different components using the same switch.

Do you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033PSG5A/ref=psdc_6291359011_t3_B003AUPP66

It's a double throw/center off/ maintained switch.  It would allow you to turn on a device when pushed up, then center would be off, then pushing it down would turn on a different device..  I'd say that you could get it in white also, but I didn't search any further.

Search for a double throw single pole switch. All switches are rated by the number of poles (circuits) and the number of throws (connections to be made). Single pole single throw is the typical light switch.

Attachments

• throw.jpg
    throw.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 23
xrated said:
Yea, I accidently posted up a link for a double pole/double throw instead of a single pole/double throw switch.
That will still work, you just use only one side (one throw) of the switch. The hard part would be finding one with the center off position. Usually they have no middle position.

SeilerBird said:
That will still work, you just use only one side (one throw) of the switch. The hard part would be finding one with the center off position. Usually they have no middle position.

Tom, I think this would be it:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1256-W-15-Amp-277-Volt-Single-Pole/dp/B003AUPP66/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511641880&sr=8-5&keywords=single%2Bthrow%2Bdouble%2Bpole%2Bswitch&th=1

Looks like X rated got it right straight off. Rene T provided a white version.

Rene T said:
Tom, I think this would be it:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1256-W-15-Amp-277-Volt-Single-Pole/dp/B003AUPP66/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511641880&sr=8-5&keywords=single%2Bthrow%2Bdouble%2Bpole%2Bswitch&th=1
I don't think that is the one you want. Toggle Double-Throw Ctr-OFF Momentary Contact Single-Pole AC Quiet Switch. Pricey little thing. :eek: It sounds to me like it is a single pole single throw with the middle position being off, one position being on and the other position being momentary on. I think maybe this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AUIRDE/ref=psdc_6291359011_t2_B003AUPP66

Yes. Yes and no

The switches you want (SP/3T on/off/on) do exist but they are not "Standard"  size,  For low cuirrent Electronics shops will have 'em  For higher current (like 30 amps) hit an Electrical supply,

My coach has two of them located in the bathroom. They control power to the water heater, microwave, and washer/dryer assuring that only one of them are powered at a time to prevent an overload condition. (30 amp system)

Oh, and the center off does not constitute another "throw". It would be designated as "SPDT with center off".

Tom

SeilerBird said:

I agree that it would work, as long as it had the center off position, but the price of a DP/DT switch is a lot more expensive, and unnecessary for his use.

Seilerbird is right - you probably want "maintained contact" rather than "momentary contact" type of SPDT switch. In other words, a simple power transfer switch .

I never did find a source for a standard household switch like that when I needed one, but panel toggle switches of that sort are readily available with similar voltage and amp ratings.

Heli_av8tor said:
A standard household 3-way switch is a SPDT switch, though it doesn't have a center off position.

Tom

How do you come up with that? A standard 3-way household switch only has 2 positions, making it a single throw.

Brother Bear said:
How do you come up with that? A standard 3-way household switch only has 2 positions, making it a single throw.
That is the whole problem with a three way switch. It only has two positions. A four way switch has three positions. I don't know who named these but he is absolutely correct. It is a single pole double throw switch.

A standard 3-way household switch only has 2 positions, making it a single throw.

Nope, it's a double-throw. The power is switched from a center common terminal to either of two load terminals. So the switch is "thrown" to one of two positions, even though the user sees it has a single flip of the switch. The lack of a dead center doesn't make it single instead of double.

Back
Top Bottom