Slide issues on a T/C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

So I have a few TC's in mind. It's going to be a used unit somewhere in the 2008 to the 2012 generation. More then likely one full wall slide, but there are a few two slide models that look nice. With all the twisting and torking a camper is subjected to, how is your slide fairing? Any certain  models that have known issues? Aluminum frame would seem to be the way to go, but I really don't know for sure. Please share your thoughts and experiances, really trying to make a informed desicion on which way to go,,,gregg

I have a triple slide, 2012 model Host.
I have never had a problem with my slides, don't know what brand Host uses, but it is not a Schwintek.
Schwintek slides have two motors that are in the slide itself and the motors must be synchronized, which causes problems.
The larger the slide, the more problems you will have with a Schwintek.
My slide mechanism is much heavier duty than the Schwintek. My slides have one motor that is bolted to the floor and has very heavy duty gears.
The only problems I have had and it is not really a problem, is that sometimes, when not parked level, I will have to start and stop a couple of times when putting out the slides, but that is rather rare and only happens on the largest slide.
When I was at the Host factory, they made a big deal about showing me how heavy duty their slides mechanisms are, I could not lift it.
An aluminum frame is definitely the way to go, there is very little wood in my camper, except for inside trim, so there is nothing to rot.

We absolutly loved the Host tripple slide when we looked at one,,it's the only tripple I've seen in person,,but  I was amazed how much interior room there was, plus the basement full slide shelf, and that couch was what I really liked. Nice spot to sit and relax for sure. But, Im not wanting to deal with the combined wt. of a Trip slide and towing 6000lb  boat, I have the rig to do it, but not the want. Thanx for the info on the slide manu. and Aluminum framing. As a welder and Fabricator, I can apprecate the the net yeild of strenght to wt of Aluminum. We don't "plan" on camping in winter conditions, maybe a late season hunting trip time to time in the mid west. Any issues that slides have on sealing cold air or dust for that matter. I know its probably some, but just wondering if its something I should know about,,,gregg

I tow my 20' Rogue Marine Jet boat all the time with the camper, in fact, I have never used the camper without the boat in tow. The only problem I have is dealing with the length. With the boat, truck and camper, I am at 18,000lbs.
I have camped many times at 18* and never had an issue with wind, dust or keeping the camper warm.

My advice is make sure that there is no plumbing in the slide. Electric and gas - fine. I have a 2015 Lance 1052 with the kitchen sink in the slide and have had two serious plumbing issues. Fortunately they were covered by the warranty but still a major hassle. And messy!

I would also make sure that the camper is level when moving the slides to avoid problems.

Back
Top Bottom