EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Draining Fresh water tank  (Read 665 times)

swove

• ---
Draining Fresh water tank
« on: November 25, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
Hello, I went to drain my fresh water tank in my 2013 Fleetwood Bounder and I followed instructions in the manual and on the bin door, however when done my fresh water tank still showed 1/3 full which is how full it was when I started. The only valves I could find to drain were two hot and cold valves on both sides of the motorhome there was no valve under the rig to open and drain. I was able to drain the hot water tank but I am wondering if I am missing something concerning the fresh water tank. If anyone has any thoughts on what I could do to get the tank drained I would appreciate it, I live in Arizona and do not have a concern on any freezing temps but would like to drain the water out while it sits over the winter.  Thanks in advance
Mike and Sandy
Sun Lakes AZ
2013 Fleetwood Bounder 36 foot gas

rockin rockwood

• ---
Re: Draining Fresh water tank
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
Those gauges are notoriously in accurate! Is there a way of visually seeing the tank? I would put money on that it's empty if you opened up the drain valves. Also do you have an outside shower. That would also act as a low point drain
Dan
2006 FourWinds Windsport
2007 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic

swove

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
There is an outside shower I drained those as well, I could not find the tank I hope that it is drained not that much came out when I drained it but if it was already low that would be why. I wish there was a way to verify without having to take it in. Thanks for the response I did not consider the gauge being inaccurate    8)
Mike and Sandy
Sun Lakes AZ

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
I would close the drains, then turn on the pump and open a cold water faucet to see if anything comes out.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »
Another thing to try is disconnect the hoses to and from the water pump.

If there is water in the tank it will drain out of one or both hoses.

If your in AZ why do you feel it's needed to empty the tanks?
I have to believe that YOUR Winter is not as long as most that live way North of you.
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp
West MI Summer   Central FL Winter

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »
On page 07-2 of your owners manual it shows the location of the drain valve for the fresh water tank.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
If you use the hot & cold low point drains to empty the fresh tank, you need to run the water pump to get the water out of the tank to the open low point drains. Gravity flow alone won't do it and often will not drain any water from the tank at all.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

swove

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Red and silver I just donít want the water to sit over the winter in the tank you are right our winters are quite mild compared to other parts of the states and not as long maybe one or two days of freeze :o Wildebill yes it shows it in the manual but does not match my RV as the drain valves are not where they show in the manual. Gary I did not think of that I will give it a try just might work  :)

Again thanks everyone for the suggestions
Mike and Sandy
Sun Lakes AZ

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 02:17:36 PM »
Both of my RV's have had a separate drain/valve for the fresh water tank itself.  Where is your fresh water tank actually located?  From there you can follow the piping going to/from the tank and look for a valve you haven't operated yet.  ;)
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
I would call the factory hotline and ask them and have your serial number handy.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
My fresh water drain turned out to be a valve I thought was just a shut-off valve between the tank and pump.

I didn't realize just by looking at it that it had another leg going down through the floor.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2018 Suzuki Burgman 400
Home town: Mableton, GA

swove

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
Thatís just it I cannot find the tank had a friend check as well he could not find it. I went out again today and looked under both sides and still do not see it. I am going to call Fleetwood customer service with my vin number and see if they can tell me where it is. Also will try to turn the pump on open the valves and see if that will bring the water out
Mike and Sandy
Sun Lakes AZ

1PlasticMan1

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 05:42:11 PM »
Would also disconnect hoses on both sides of the water pump to drain water from the pump.  Would run the pump for about 10 seconds or until it stops spitting water.  Don't forget to pull your water filter and empty that too.
2016 Bounder 33C
2015 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2
and Frisco

2kGeorgieBoy

• ---
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »
Did you look under the bed? Not familiar with your unit, but it's a possibility.
2000 Georgie Boy Maverick
31' E450 V10  No slides
our toys:
'08 Polaris Touring LE ATV (mine)
'12 Polaris 550 XP ATV (wife's)
1968 AH Sprite (original owners, not on road at this time)
Gary, Jena, and Presley (our awesome yellow Lab).
Westcliffe, CO.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

swove

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »
Just to let you all know I called Fleetwood customer service and after two times calling they emailed me the blue prints of where the tank was. He said I would have to remove a plate to get to the drain valve. It was located under the galley on the passenger side, and when I went under I found it behind an I-beam and did not have to remove anything. The valve is very tight but I will drain it this weekend, glad to have found it. FYI manual was completely wrong that was frustrating thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and ideas  ;D
Mike and Sandy
Sun Lakes AZ

1PlasticMan1

• ---
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 05:45:58 PM »
Regarding the Fleetwood manual, I find it to be very generic, and not very useful.
2016 Bounder 33C
2015 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2
and Frisco

Hosted by Over The Network