2001 Infinity inside and out refurbishment, complete!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooney 78865

My wife and I purchased a 2001 Infinity 34' class A, with the Triton V10 about 8 months ago.  The price was right and with only 31K on the clock so was the mileage. Unfortunately, the coach had suffered from neglect, too much time in the weather etc, etc. 
The first order of business was to make sure she was mechanically sound, appliances all worked, and the like. The previous owner assured me that everything was in working order before her husband fell ill 2 years earlier. I spent a couple hours in the pouring rain going over what I could and really couldn't find any real reason not to buy it. So, long story short, we bought it.
The lady was correct, once all the batteries were serviced and charged, a fill on the propane tank, and a general service on the appliances, all was in order! EVERYTHING functioned as it should.
On to the running gear side of things! I serviced the engine, oil, filter, cleaned the reusable air filter, had the transmission serviced and the rear in checked, along with all of the brakes.  So far so good!Then, (after reading this forum) I discovered that the tires were original, yep, original. I don't think I was as nervous driving it home 80 miles in the rain, at night, as I was taking it 4 miles to have new tires installed! Ignorance is bliss!!
We've did a few short shake down runs  and this summer took it out for a 2,000 mile adventure to Utah, followed by a trip up the California coast for a week.  So far zero issues.
Now for the real post.
The wife and I truly enjoy the whole RV experience, so much so that we began contemplating a much newer coach. Mechanically we were golden, but the exterior and the interior were showing their age  We came to the conclusion that we would "refurbish" what we had rather than have a payment. ( I actually want to retire someday) As it is only us, and we really like the layout, full bath, master suite, and pretty much the whole coach, we decided to go ahead and "remodel". We replaced all of the furniture, tore out the carpet and linoleum, replaced the cabinet hardware and the light fixtures. The furniture came from "Shop for seats", excellent folks, shipped on time, everything.  We actually had a few custom requirements. The floor is Allure "Khaki Oak, vinyl planking.
For the exterior I refinished the graphics after spending a few days scrubbing old wax, grime, and the like off the exterior. Thanks to previous posts on this forum, it actually wasn't to tough of a job.  Once I was done with the graphics it received 5 coats of ZEP high gloss floor finish.
All in, furniture, fixtures, flooring, exterior necessities, paint, masking materials, ZEP, we are in it about $6,000.
So, here are a few pics of the process...

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 163
A couple more pics...
A side note, the cabinets are actually not as red in real life as they appear in the pictures.  lighting is everything...
We are very happy with the way everything turned out. 
We were actually able to find material at the local fabric store for the window treatments, that complimented the new flooring and furniture! Easy 3 hour job that!
Now we're back to trip planning for a trip this winter!

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 134
Very nice work, looks like new. How did you refurbish the graphics. I need to do that on my 2007 Denali 5th wheel?

sc4668 said:
Very nice work, looks like new. How did you refurbish the graphics. I need to do that on my 2007 Denali 5th wheel?
As my graphics were quite large I was able to take a 3M rubber sanding block to the areas in question and sand down a bit of the cracks in the original vinyl graphics. This would also help prep the surface for the paint, removing old wax etc. I then wiped down with a tack cloth to remove residue and the like.  Finally I masked with the 3/4 in green frog tape.  The 3/4 worked for me since I wasn't having to deal with really tight radius curves.  After masking the layout, I used 12in painters paper to mask off the body and to give me something to hang plastic drop cloth to.  After that it was just spray.  Couple things: First, LIGHT COATS!!!, especially the first couple coats. Lighter colors will tend to run easier than darker colors!  Second, rub down your tape edges!.  I used the Krylon Fusion for plastics, in gloss, and could not be happier. It lays smooth and the fan spray of the nozzle is really nice. Don't scrimp on the tape either.  The Frogg tape laid down and stayed put. 
Whole job took about 10 hours and cost less than $50.
If your graphics are just faded you may want to try some ZEP high gloss floor wax on them.  The black graphics on mine came out real nice with no need to re finish. I was fortunate, and none of mine were lifted at any of the edges.

sc4668 said:

I think what he was really asking, and what I'd like to know also is what kind of paint did you use to paint the graphics? 
I saw something about someone who painted their interior walls and the vinyl coating on the wallboard shrank.  Wouldn't want to use the wrong paint and have that happen on the outside.

Old_Crow said:
I think what he was really asking, and what I'd like to know also is what kind of paint did you use to paint the graphics? 
I saw something about someone who painted their interior walls and the vinyl coating on the wallboard shrank.  Wouldn't want to use the wrong paint and have that happen on the outside.
Krylon Fusion for plastics is what I used.  My coach is stored outside, but with a cover. High temps this summer were well over 100 degrees, (it is Fresno) and so far the lows have gotten down to the high 30's, low 40's with no issues. It's probably been 7 months now since I did the work.

Thanks for that.  My RV guy was telling me that the local print shop can make new vinyl for me, but the actual vinyl is not cracking or peeling, just fading.  Paint sure sounds like a lot less work than stripping the vinyl and applying new.

A quick update on the work we did this past year.
I just put another coat of ZEP high gloss floor finish on this past weekend.  One coat and it looks like new.  The original job that took 5 coats was done about 16 months ago.  I store it under a cover, but have washed it at least 6 times.  The paint over the graphics still looks fantastic. We still really love the interior and couldn't be happier with the investment.
About the only thing we had left to do was to chase down those annoying squeaks when running down the crappy freeways we have in California. That mission was accomplished a few weeks ago.  Now it's freaky quiet, I mean REALLY FREAKY quiet. I'm sure more will show up, but I'm really enjoying the quiet!

Now, aren't you glad you didn't borrow money for a new coach? I'll bet you get lots of comments in RV parks about that beautiful coach! Way to go.

Punomatic said:
Now, aren't you glad you didn't borrow money for a new coach? I'll bet you get lots of comments in RV parks about that beautiful coach! Way to go.
It's a bit of a catch 22.  While we really like the coach (and no payment), the allure of a coach with multiple slides, I.E. more room is appealing. We have been out this year 7 times for various things but mostly 3-4 day trips to F3A Pattern contests. While we have bought a trailer for hauling the planes and no longer need to store them inside, the appeal of something with a bit more living area would be nice.  It's amazing how many people actually stay at the field during an event, and a bit more room would make entertaining easier..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom