HWH Leveling System Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2ride4him

HWH 325 Series Leveling System Concerns / Challenges.

I am a full time Rver, living in a 2004 Winnebago 38G Adventurer with 56500 miles.  I bought this coach used in 2015 and am very pleased with this coach with the exception of the Hydraulic Leveling system.  Both the the oringal owner and I have had issues with the HWH system and issues continue.
The complete assembly is mounted perpendicular in the front center of the motor home with the hydraulic motor, pump, reservoir mounted to and in a 1? pan / tray with the Control Box monuted parall to the coach.  When it rains the pan fills up with water, putting the pump motor, pump relay and wiring sitting in water; and when driving in the rain or on those windy rainy days, moisture / condensation builds up on the inside of the plexiglass that protects the Control Box electricial components.  The complete systems is exposed to all kinds of driving / weather conditions including debrie hiting the front of the coach.  As a result, the reservoir, pump motor, and pump relay corroded, shorting out both the pump motor and pump relay.  Needless to say I had to replace all these components costing $276.62 for a pump motor and pump relay.
After replacing these components the system worked for 2 seconds and then stopped working.  After talking with HWH and Stuart Services, reading every articial I could find on line, it was determined that the pump itself was bad.
I removed the complete pump assembly and the pump from the reservoir and found A small ball bearing had come off the pump and was inside the reservoir.
I called Stuart Service explained what I found and was sent a new reservoir with pump, motor, and relay attached costing $430.49.  I installed the components and everything worked. 
Let me say that I am not a expert on these systems however I spent 24 years in the Air Force as a aircraft mechanic troublshooting/working Electrical, Hydraulic, and Pneumatic systems on several different aircraft and equipment.  I have both the HWH 325 service Operator's and Service manuals plus contact information with HWH experts and Stuart Service experts.  I have darn good trouble shooting skills; I can read, follow, and understand wiring and hydraulic schematics.
I spent October in Mena Arkanasa and everything worked.  Slides went in and out;  All 4 jacks went up and down.  I departed Arkanasa October 29th and headed to Virginia.  I drove though rain for two days and when I arrived Virginia the leveling jacks stopped working.  The jacks went down and then immediately retacted and would not stay down. However the all three slides function probably.
I started trouble shooting and found:
1. The Right Front solenoid, White wire pulled out of solenoid.
2. The touch panel wire 6120 has Constance 12 V power.  3.
3. Right Rear solenoid has Constance 12 V power.
4. Control Panel LED lights not turning on with the corresponding UP ARROWS

I accomplished all the troublshooting steps and it appears the Control Panel should be replaced.

A few days later I was talking with a friend who owns a Winnebago with the same system. I explained what was happening with the HWH system on my coach and he stated he had issues with the HWH system on his coach over the years so we started troublshooting again.

And now the JACKS wil not go down.  Pump motor runs and all three slide work normal.

HWH System issues on this coach history:
1. 12/14/15-Replaced Right Rear Solenoid  $237.51
2. 8/23/17-Replaced 12 Pump/motor, relay, Reservior $430.49
3. 8/11/17-Replaced 12 pump motor and relay $276.62
4. 5/13/14-Replaced Left Front solenoid $194.88
5. 6/24/14 Replaced both front solenoid; and Main Control $1289.57

Several Questions.  Is there a design problem HWH system on this 2004 Adventurer coach?
Should all four solenoids be replaced?
Should all four check values be replaced?
Should the Shuttle valve be replaced?
Should the 50LB pressure switch be replaced

I have contacted HWH and Good Sam extended insurance plan and am going to send all parts to HWH to be checked.

Can this system be replaced with another system?

Any and all advice / recommendation welcome.  Thank you

Riding4theSon.

Brad

We have the HWH 325 system on our 2005 Voyage and in the eight years we have had it we have had to replace  a couple solenoids and the shuttle valve three times(my fault).  I would say your problem is the location of the unit, not the unit itself.

All four of our jacks were replaced due to manufacturing issues by HWH (slow retracting) when the coach was two years old and about three years ago we had the large control box replaced (big ouch, 800$.) Our coach is 12 years old with 120k miles, I've been very happy with my HWH system.

I'm holding my breath for the hydraulic hoses though, they will probably need replacement at some point in time. When my last tractor was about 15 years old, the loader hoses started going south. Over a two year period I replaced all six (or eight) hoses.

Thanks for your service!  I was a 362x4 in the USAF, 1968-72. Last permanent duty station was Tan Son Nhut AB. You are lucky to have the skills to do your own troubleshooting.

Let me say that I am not a expert on these systems however I spent 24 years in the Air Force as a aircraft mechanic troublshooting/working Electrical, Hydraulic, and Pneumatic systems on several different aircraft and equipment.  I have both the HWH 325 service Operator's and Service manuals plus contact information with HWH experts and Stuart Service experts.  I have darn good trouble shooting skills; I can read, follow, and understand wiring and hydraulic schematics.

You seem to be well qualified to do the work.

Have you ever thought about building a box around the system to protect it from the weather and keep it dry?
Yes you shouldn't HAVE to do that - but unless it would be easier to move the system to a different location........
I think some type of protection would be easier and most effective - but you know the system better then me. 
Just thought I would give you something to think about if you hadn't already.

Since 9/2013, we have replaced, at various times, the control module (agree with John^s ouch), a pump motor (another ouch) solenoids, more solenoids, shuttle valves, hoses and relays. We?ve been to Moscow IA. several times. M/h was at HWH in Sept. it?s currently in shop because the slides again or still won't retract. We no longer trust the system.  We have had many,many people work on this problem. we are heading to our winter spot. We have an appointment at Winnebago in April to see what they can do.
This has taken the fun out of our M/h. We are considering hanging up the keys. This is a 2006 Itasca ellipse that we have owned since it was new. This is the only problem we have had with this M/h. We really do not want to give up this lifestyle.
End of rant.

Back
Top Bottom