Micro minnie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I have finally picked out the Travel Trailer best suited for my first time pulling anything, although, we have had TT for 10 yrs with my husband towing it.  Can anyone comment on quality of the flooring and if the Micro Minnie's have been know to have water intrusion/mold anywhere in the camper?  Do the floors hold up nicely or do they rot and mold?  Our R-Pod wound up w 1/3 of the floor and wall rotting and getting black mold due to a pin hole leak behind the refer.

I have a chronic illness that makes me really sick when I'm around mold, formaldehyde and other chemicals.  After being in the 2018 MM, I was literally air drunk for the rest of the day.  The whole point of the TT is for me to heal and take my son cross country and continue exploring.  Now I'm not sure if this is the right one for me or not. 

Those who have Micro Minnie's- does the offgassing "new camper" smell take a long time to go away?  How long would you say yours took?  Do they resist mold better than other campers?  How are they for first time towing?  And, am I within a reasonable weight capacity if my vehicle can tow 5,200lbs and the GVWR on the 2018 Micro Minnie 1700BH is 3,800 (dry weight is 3,010 but I've been told to only go by GVWR).

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Nic

Any problems with mold intrusion or water leaking is usually not the fault of the RV. Every RV should have their roof inspected and patched if necessary on a yearly basis. A complete reseal of the roof should be done every five years. If you follow this the odds of water intrusion are minimal. If you don't the odds of water intrusion goes up to around 100%.

Hi Nic,

We don't have a bunch of Winnie towables posts here so the forum doesn't have much of a 'database' of problem reports but maybe that's a good thing. Winnebago bought the struggling Sunnybrook travel trailer company a few years ago and from what I've heard they are producing a good product now.

However if you are reacting badly from the odors in a MM, maybe you should check out other models and brands.

Thank you both for your responses.

I will be sure to check and deal with seals on the schedule mentioned.  The hard part for me is I've been looking for 2 yrs for a TT that doesn't make me "air drunk" and fatigued for days.  The only one that I felt totally fine in was the Retro 181B, but I've read many stories of them succumbing to floor rot after less than 1.5 yrs.  I can't deal with that at this time.  I also can't get sick from just being in the TT either and I definitely feel sick in the MM.  That said, it literally just was delivered from the factory and has not had a minute to offgas.  I want to take a leap of faith and get it and air it out for the next 5 months before using it, but that's a giant leap.  My intention with this post was to hopefully have some insight into "yes, after 6 months or so, the chemical smell subsided". 

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  Your insight is helpful :)

Nic

I just did a little reading on offgassing in RVs and it appears that airing out the RV for several weeks (including removing the mattress) mitigates the smell. Also there's a manufacturer (Evergreen) that claims to not use any materiel that can offgass.

We had a dockmate when we used to live aboard our sailboat whose 42' sailboat caught fire and had a lot of smoke damage, they used an ozone generator to get rid of the smoke smell. After reading about these generators, they might not be effective at removing chemical odors (and their effectiveness and safety is very controversial.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom