Weight Distribution Hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pappi49

I have a question for all of you that use a wdh. My toy hauler has a tongue weight of 800 lbs. with my Harley loaded and 1150 lbs. with out.

Mu question is which spring bars would you use, the 1000 lb. or the 1500 lb. Currently using 1000 but when towing the trailer with out the bike, It doesn't seem as if I get enough weight back to the front. Tried to contact etrailer but they did not really answer the question.  I am leaning towards the 1500 lb. bars for use both loaded and unloaded. Thanks in advance for all your help.

You'd want the spring bars that cover the heaviest load you can carry (within the capabilities of your trailer and tow vehicle)... otherwise you are not getting the distribution advantage with lighter spring bars, when you have the Harley loaded anyway.

For the make/model of WDH you have, are those the only two spring bar options in that upper limit (1000# or 1500#)?  Mine are 1400# and I think I've seen 1200# on some models before, which is why I ask.  Even if you have the 1500# (more than you need), there are probably ways to fine-tune the adjustments to get the ride you need.

Sorry, didn't mention that the hitch is a Blue Ox. You can just change the spring bars if needed whenever you change trailers. I believe that all of their spring bars come in 500 lb. increments.

Not really that concerned with the smoothness of ride but more with the proper weight distribution. I have even thought about getting another set of bars (1500 lb.) so that I can just use the bars that fit my tongue weight at that time.

You shouldn't need to change spring bars for moderate differences in tongue weight - just add or reduce the tension on the bars (different number of chain links) to shift the appropriate amount of weight.  I would use the 1500# bars, since the 1000# are not enough for the heavier tongue weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom