HAS ANYONE Replaced Diesel fuel filtering OEM with after market?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I have a Cummings 6ATC 8.3 with original placed 2nd filter that is near impossible to change with a

• After marker system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modify how?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bluewaveRVdp

I have a Cummings 6ATC 8.3 with original placed 2nd filter that is near impossible to change with a primary filter that you need to climb under the rear of RV-bus to get to & a mechanical fuel pump under the 2nd filter, that has a hand=operated-pump that can not be reached to operate after filter replacement or draining.  So I have a stock 1994 Cummings 6ATC8.3 in a Spartan chassis, with a Monaco/Holiday Rambler on top where none of these builders thought of "FUEL-FILTER-MAINTENANCE" along with a few other issues.  Has someone replaced this inaccessible, mechanical, nightmare with some system that is accessible to the owner???
I also do not like "Banjo" fuel line fittings  Prefer Flare & AN aircraft fittings for proven leak-proof fuel lines & in other plumbing.
I saw a Dodge with a dual filter & electric lift pump system (still had to climb under the truck, but had more clearance) that looked good.
There are places to install a system like that in other places within this RV....  Has anyone done that ???

On many marine diesels they remote mount the factory filters for ease of maintenance and also for lower profile to fit in tight spaces. 

Both Cummins and Cat allowed single filter fuel systems for a few years (circa 2003-2005) and then reversed course to require 2-stag filtering. More than a few people upgraded their single filter system to a 2-stage after that and the parts are readily available.  I've also heard of people adding an inline secondary (fine) filter is a more accessible place than the typical engine-mounted secondary.  The engine mount is strictly a matter of packaging from the engine factory - it is shipped on the engine to protect the fuel injection pump. It could be remounted anywhere, but most chassis builds do not relocate it.

High end coaches often have the fuel filters (and sometimes other filters) located in a easily accessible bay adjacent to the engine. It's simply plumbing and some extra build expense that is deemed affordable in a high dollar rig but not in low or mid level coaches.

On our 2005 Holiday Rambler, there is a door where the fan is on the drivers side of the coach near the back. One needs a round key to open it. The door lifts up and then the fan just moves forward on a hinge and props the door open, and the filters are right there easy to get at. Hope this helps with yours, different years but still might be the same design. Let us know if this works for you.

Bill

Banjo fittings have been around forever, or at least 50 years :D.
They handle high pressure fluids very well, which is why they are utilized in fuel injection systems.

Cummins diesels were fathered by Clessie Cummins. NO G in Cummins, pass it on :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom