Surge tank 2005 Vectra 40AD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wstalker1

I have a 2005 Vectra with a 400 HP Cummins and I have to replace the surge tank. It is a side radiator and I thought I saw a pretty good video of someone replacing one like mine or fairly close anyway. Going from plastic to metal and using part # VML-T3495. Tank is coming from dealer on eBay. If anyone has any good links to video I would sure appreciate it.

Here is a video but it's for a 350 ISC and rear radiator and you have an ISL and maybe side radiator? The surge tank is similar but mounts a bit differently than the video shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Dn0jN3Eaw

Thanks Gary. I have seen that one. Does not look like a bad job. I believe I have about the same setup as John Canfield.

Freightliner factory service installed a new one on my previous ISL 400 w/side radiator, so I don't know the detailed changes to the brackets. There must have been some, though, because the metal tank was a different shape entirely. They charged 2 hours labor @ $90/hr and $203 for the new tank.

I called freightliner to purchase a tank and was told they only sell the kit which was just shy of $1100.00. That is from the Tolleson AZ freightliner. That is what prompted me to buy the tank online. John, I have seen your pictures while searching this issue, so no need to bother. Without loosing all traces of humility, I generally do fairly good with mechanical items, so I will humbly report afterwards. As usual thanks for any and all help.

Wow! They are proud of the tank and bracket (Tolleson Freightliner does our chassis service)  :eek: . Since you are a DIY guy, I don't think it would be a huge project to make a bracket.

Next time call FCCC customer service and ask for the required part numbers. Then have them transfer you to the Parts Dept and order them direct.

I can't imagine what may have been in that "kit".  $1100 is ridiculous even with new brackets and new hose. I can see $400 (bad enough!), but $1100 would have to be gold plated.

Is Tolleson an Oasis (motorhome qualified) shop? I don't see any mention of it.

Not that it is funny, but kind of. I did call FCCC to get the part numbers. They gave me the wrong part # and when I asked if what they are referring to is metal, the guy says yes, looked up his part number and it was the same plastic one.

Where did you look it up?  Freightliner has discontinued the plastic one used with the ISL on their previous chassis, so there only the metal one is available. Likely the old number was simply re-assigned to the new metal replacement, but an older parts list might show the original.

There was a time period where some shops were substituting a metal tank from a Sterling truck (Sterling is another Freightliner brand) for the plastic one, but I believe FCCC now has an official metal replacement.

Just checked the invoice for my replacement, done at the FCCC factory in 2011. It shows the tank as item VML T3495

Thanks John. That is the same part # that I have coming. Should be here in a couple of days. I'm not quite sure when I will get to it. I'm also having a little battle with freightliner in Tucson. They put the wrong coolant in and can't get them to respond. The sample came back terrible so I am going to do  major flush and cleaning and replace old hoses. Fortunately the oil sample came out well and I really think I will be alright once I get the coolant squared away. We shall see.

wstalker1 said:
...I'm also having a little battle with freightliner in Tucson. They put the wrong coolant in and can't get them to respond. The sample came back terrible so I am going to do  major flush and cleaning and replace old hoses. ..
I've never used Freightliner in Tucson but I recommend you drive a bit west and use the Oasis dealer in Tolleson (Phoenix) - I've used these guys for years and years. They do make mistakes though - nobody's perfect. If they make a mistake, they will make it right.

wstalker1 said:
I called freightliner to purchase a tank and was told they only sell the kit which was just shy of $1100.00. That is from the Tolleson AZ freightliner.
$1100 for the tank? I bought mine from FrieghtLiner in Gastonia, NC maybe 2 years ago and felt ripped off at $600. I had a local shop install it because I was traveling for work a lot but they said it went in very easy.

John Canfield said:
I've never used Freightliner in Tucson but I recommend you drive a bit west and use the Oasis dealer in Tolleson (Phoenix) - I've used these guys for years and years. They do make mistakes though - nobody's perfect. If they make a mistake, they will make it right.
I fully intend to use the Tolleson shop should I need them. Heard a lot of good things. The Tucson shop is supposed to be the same group, but so far I'm not going to give them any credit till they respond. i was very busy this week and did not have time to pursue things. The Tolleson shop is who gave me the cost of the tank and parts at $1100.00 not including labor.

Back
Top Bottom