Our First Day with New RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

We got our new camper yesterday!  HORRAY!  We drove 5 hours to get to Somerset, then spent 2 hours going over things with the seller.  After getting the new Andersen hitch set up we headed off to a campground about a hour away.  While adjusting TBC gain, I find that full gain of 10 only slows the camper.  I would need a gain of 40 to lick up the brakes.  The seller said you could stop the truck with the trailer brakes.  On my To Do list!

After a long day already and a new camper that was about 5 tons heavier than anything I had ever towed, 50 - 55 mph was all the faster I cared to go.  95% 4 lane road.  This morning, with a decent night sleep and a full stomach, it was a bit of a challenge keeping it under 63mph!!  It pulled great, but I was always aware it was back there.  After an hour, I tried Cruise Control.  It worked amazingly well!  Set at 62, it maintained speed between 60 and 64 up and down hills, downshifting as needed.  I found driving with TOW/HAUL OFF worked better for me.

At the camp ground, we set up, not planning to disconnect the truck.  The sites were narrow pull through gravel and I did not get the camper centered on the gravel well.  As a result, It was several inches out of level side to side.  We decided that for one night, that was okay. 
Crisis #1  No TV over the air reception in Russell Springs!!  And worse, the remote batteries were dead!!! 
Crisis #2  The stove would not light.  Out of Propane.  Therefore, no furnace, either.  I do not know when my DW emptied the tanks, but we unhooked the truck and went out to eat.  :D    I dropped the front landing gear extensions, and lifted the camper off the ball without incident, and out for supper.  The overnight temp was only down to 33 F.  ???  Thankfully, the camper has 2 fireplace / electric heaters, but was wired to only allow power to one at a time.  We closed the bedroom door (tricky with a sliding door out of level!)  I was cool, but fine.  I have camped in much colder weather without solid walls in a much lighter sleeping bag.  Wife, not so much.
Crisis #3  The wonderful Sleep Number bed did not work.  Apparently no power, even though there was power to the receptacle.  Thankfully, it was in a relatively comfortable setting.
Crisis #4  Everybody knows sleeping bags van be zipped together to make a double bed size bag.  WRONG!  When laid on top of each other in this configuration, both zipper pull tabs were on the same side!  Somebody side sheeted the sleeping bags!  :(
Overnight, I remembered I had only tried one propane tank.  I switched to the other tank in the morning.  No Go.  Auto changeover.  But it was a thought.  We went out for breakfast.
Crisis # 5  When I lowered the landing gear to hook up, all went well.  When I raised the gear  OOPS!! Because I had dropped the extensions all the way to the ground, then we put stuff in the camper, I could not raise the gear high enough to get the weight off the extensions to lift the them.  I raised the camper back off the Andersen ball, then moved the truck about 3 inches, and sat the camper pin box down on the Andersen ball and raised the gear.  Raise the extensions, re deploy the gear to rehook to the truck, then the gear came up high enough to get everything retracted properly.
We drove 4 ? hours home with no problems.
Crisis # 6  When we got home, I pulled off the 16 foot wide road (far side) into our 12 foot wide driveway, and the left side FW tires missed the drive and went in the ditch.  Blocking the road. Spun tires trying to pull it out.  I put the truck into 4X4 LOW and pulled on into the drive.  I did leave some deep grooves in the yard when I pulled it forward past the end of the drive.  And it is off level side to side by several inches.

I will work on that - and others - tomorrow!

It's call a learning curve.  Congrats on the new RV

A crisis would be stranded for a few days or a week.

Look how much better you will be prepared for your next trip.  ;D

Thanks!  I thought  we were prepared, after all the time I spent here, but nooo  At least I found new problems rather than repeating old ones.  The piece is true, but I was trying to lighten it up with Crisis #

Well, at least you have the concept of "good enough is good enough" down pat!  A few months ago, I watched a neighbor spending 15 minutes helping a young guy with a brand-new trailer (luckily a small one) and a brand-new truck back into a campsite. 

However, the newbie had been told his trailer had to be perfectly level for his refrigerator to work, and it was half-an-inch off on one side, so he pulled out and tried backing in again.  Guy kept running off the pad or jack-knifing the trailer.  I watched him out of my front window until I could stand it no more.  Went out and spent 20 minutes yelling instructions at him over the noise of his diesel pickup truck.  (I drive a motorhome without a tow, but even I knew what he was doing wrong.)  He went forward and backward a couple of dozen times, but still could not get back into the campsite and on the cement pad in the exact spot he wanted.  I kept trying to tell him when he got close to the right place, that good enough was fine and that his refrigerator would work great with some boards under one tire.

In the meantime, a lady on the other side of the loop was sitting outside, literally doubled up with laughter, holding her hand over her mouth to reduce the noise of her laughing.  Anyway, he finally gave up and got it set up in sort of a good place, with his orange risers under one tire.  I went over to chat with the lady who was still laughing hysterically.

Personally, I am lazy, and I don't have electric levelers on my motorhome, so I have learned to be satisfied lurching around inside my motorhome when it is slightly off-level.  Good enough is all I strive for! 

And you have had your first story to tell everyone! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom