Rubber roof lifting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTsRV

Does anyone have any experience replacing a rubber roof?  On my recent trip the rubber roof began flapping near the front of the roof.  The air lifted it away from the sub-roof and it was slapping the roof.  It did not come completely off at the lead edge and did not tear completely off but I think I really need to replace it.  The RV is 16 years old.
I viewed an online video on how to replace it but I would rather have a pro do it.  It is just more than I want to take on.
Does anyone have an idea how much it should cost.  The motorhome is a 30 footer.
Thanks in advance for any info.

RTsRV

It may be that the rubber membrane just needs to be glued back down. We had a large bubble appear in ours, where the glue let go. It wasn't as bad as yours, but a minor leak developed.

It cost $1,100 to have the roof repaired. They peeled the roof back to where the glue was good, left fans blowing on it for a couple of days to dry it out, then glued it back down. I had watched some videos on this type of repair, and decided against making it a DYI project.

It can be re-glued unless it has stretched, which often happens with a highway bubble.  If it won't lay flat anymore, or has serious wrinkles where it lifted, it probably stretched.

I helped my son on his 36' DP. We pulled up next to the garage so we could walk the cooler off the MH  onto the garage roof. He ordered the rubber roll and glue kit I think for under $1000.00. Had four of us to glue and roll on the roof. I have to say it looked great when finished. The shops and CW wanted $4000.00 to $6000.00 for the job. That kit came with a video also.

The roof membrane can be reattached, but at 16 years old, replacing it is not a bad idea. Might last another 10 years, or might not.

The job isn't difficult but fairly labor intensive.  RV shops charge high labor rates (usually $100-$125 per hour), so an 8-12 man-hour job gets pricey. They also charge top dollar for the materials, so a typical roof job is in the $5000 range.

A local handyman might be willing to do it for quite a bit less, maybe $50-$60 per hour. If they have no RV experience, show them the video!

Yes that is the two AC units on top. Just carried them to the garage roof straight across so we did not set them on the ground or have to lift them back UP on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom