how to operate 5th wheel sliders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zeeto50

when sliding the hitch up for maneuvering do you need to drop the legs take the weight off the hitch slide the hitch pull up the legs, or just slide it back with the weight of the trailer on it? I have a Reese signature 18k slider  ;D

Are you talking about a sliding hitch, one of the types that you manually release the mechanism before backing up? What make and model of hitch is it? Procedures will differ according to manufacturer and model of hitch.

Zeeto replied via the 'Report to moderator' link instead of replying in the topic:

it is a reese signature 18k

I have a Reese 16 K slider hitch and the instructions state the legs must be dropped and wheels chocked before engaging the manual slider.  I haven't had to use mine yet but it seems like a lot of work just to move the slider. 

I guess Reese is concerned that by not dropping the wheels and chocking the wheels the momentum of the trailer sliding backwards may be enough to rip the hitch from the truck bed or placea lot pressure on the latch?

Don't know the reason but that is what the instructions state.

Bill T

If it's the type hitch I've seen before, i.e. with a towing and maneuvering position, you should be able to set the hitch to maneuvering, lock the trailer brakes and pull forward until it engages that position. The same goes for towing. Set the hitch to tow, lock the brakes of the trailer, then back up until it latches into the towing position. I don't see any real need to drop the legs and block the wheels. If you've done something wrong and try moving with the legs down you might damage them.

I have a 16k Reese Slider, the dw is of the nervous type and would prefer we have it in maneuvering position more often then not when backing up. Which is fine, does not hurt anything.

One thing to be aware of, if the truck is pointed even slightly up hill,have someone flip it from tow to maneuver WHILE you hold the trailer break. Then Slowly roll the truck forward.

While it appears nothing was hurt, (this was months ago), when that trailer rolled back on it's own once I flipped that lever, the jolt when it stopped was an real eye opener.  :eek:

All these posts are the reason I went to the considerable expense of a 5th Airborne Sidewinder.  (see post about that) 

My Reese slider hitch never worked in a way that made me feel comfortable.  No way to assure it's locked, the trailer coasting in or out when trying to move it forward or back, and in the 3 years I had it, it got looser and began to clunk.

Johncmr

I have to agree that the Reese manual slider is a real pain in the butt; I believe I have figured the thing out finally, though.

First, lube the thing, per the manufacturers instructions. I find it is not generally necessary to drop the front legs, but it does help to take the strain off of the slide. Move the lever to maneuver, lock the trailer wheels and pull forward - gently - you will hear it click into place. CHECK THAT IT IS ACTUALLY LOCKED!!!. Pull the legs up and you are ready. Same process for tow mode.

Had I to do over, I would have possibly bought an auto slider model, but I hear they are heavier than a horse. My Reese is hard enough to get out of the bed so maybe that's the tradeoff. The Sidewinder with air looks like a really cool option, but I am OK with what I have for now.

DW also tends to have a kitten when I am moving the slide. Freaks her out!!

Back
Top Bottom