Aux Propane Hookups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZagRacing

Hi Folks,

Like many of you, I have a propane system on my A class that operates some of the appliances such as heater, fridge, etc when AC shore power or gennie are not used or available. My concern is that there will be times I will run low on propane and I don't want to have to pack everything up so I can get the tank refilled.

I believe it is possible but to confirm, is there a system whereby I can use a portable tank and hook it into my main tank to provide additional gas when necessary? I am pretty certain it is possible from what I have seen but don't want to get it confused with like an aux output for BBQ or something. I want to be able to have a free standing aux tank that I can patch into my main tank to have reserve propane whenever I need it.

Any links to the kits, parts, or writeups on conversions to do this is appreciated

Bernie

You can get a set-up that allows you to hook a 20/30# bottle right into your system. Do an internet search for propane extenda stay, or stay awhile propane kit.

There used to be a company (Marshall Brass, Marshall, MI) that made a produict called the "Extend-a-Stay"  They are still in business, but no longer in THAT business, They discontinued that product.

Still if you go to most any RV store and ask about it,, They will direct you to another product, Most likely a "Stay-A-While" from, I think Mr. Heater.. Identical product

The one I have (Extend-a-stay) goes between the RV's 100 Pound tank, and the regulator. Install was easy.  Turn off gas at tank, Disconnnect regulator (Remember LEFT HAND THREAD on the POL fitting) install Extend-a-Stay to Tank valve, Install Regulator to Extend-a-stay, Turn on gas and check for leaks (None found)  I did some other cosmetic work as well to keep things clean and supported.

Features:
Quick disconnect (looks like the top of a throw away bottle) that can feed my portable Grills via 10 or 20 feet of extension hose
Inlet (small nut or bolt like PLUG screwed in the side) Remove bolt and attach hose, Hook up luggable tank and open valve, check for leaks.

Worked great when I was in the shop, and a few other times.. Have used it both ways (MH supplying Grill etc, and Luggable feeding MH).

If you want to connect an external tank, make sure you're tapping into the tank side of the regulator with a tap and high pressure line designed to go there.

The tank pressure ahead of the regulator is 80 - 100 PSI, the low pressure lines after the regulator are 0.5 PSI (11 inches water column).  Don't cross connect the two.

Back
Top Bottom