Automatic transfer switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawn 8586

Going to replace the transfer switch in my RV,what's a good replacement switch, I currently have a IOTA ITS-50R.

What is wrong with using the same make and model? At least the wires will match up and make it an easy changeover.

These heavy relays usually go bad because of our nasty habits of switching them while loaded and burning and pitting the contacts. This could be either you or even a previous owner or both.

Alfa38User said:
What is wrong with using the same make and model? At least the wires will match up and make it an easy changeover.

I just went through this with my IOTA, pretty sure it was the same model. IOTA is still in business but no longer makes transfer switches. Alpha38 is correct in advising you need to get one where the wires match up.

I found this one. It is advertised as a direct replacement for the 50-R; the wires were a perfect match, the only issue was it was missing a knockout for either the shore or genset power entrance (can't recall which), which required cutting a 1" hole where the wire needed to enter. Otherwise direct replacement and has been working great. Mine was replaced under an extended warranty otherwise I would have done it; it took the shop less than an hour to install.

Alpha is also correct regarding load transfer. Even though supposedly you can switch under load, I always shut down heavy loads, genset, and shore power circuit breakers before changing over either direction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom