Blue Ox Anenta not level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

Coach end is 8 inches lower than tow vehicle. I'm reading this is not good. (Just had installed)
I know I can buy a high/low adapter with an 8" rise which should level me out. I have concerns about the extra 11" of length this adds to my tow system.

Question: should I go with the 6" rise which only increases the length 7". This still keeps me within the +-3" that Blue Ox requires for level.

The coach is 4 hours away in storage.
Thanks, Jeff

Yeah, that much vertical offset isn't good. A collision would likely cause the towed vehicle to climb on top of the tow bar and take up residency inside the rear of the motorhome. I wouldn't be too concerned about the extra length. IMO, it's more important to get the towbar leveled to within spec. We tow one of two vehicles - an Acura MDX, which uses a 6" riser, or a Jeep Rubicon with modified suspension and 35" tires, and it needs an 8" riser.

We use the same Blue Ox tow bar for both vehicles. When towing the Acura, its side of the tow bar is about an inch lower than the MH side, and it's always rock solid behind the RV. The Jeep side of the towbar, however, was originally about two inches higher than the MH side, even with a 6" riser. That's within the 3" spec for the towbar, but even so, the Jeep tended to wobble a bit behind the RV.

Because of that, I replaced the 6" riser with an 8" riser, and I also installed some hitch clamps to tighten the whole hitch assembly up. That leveled the towbar and solved the wobbling issue. I think the wobbling issue was probably caused (in part) by the modified suspension and oversize tires on a short wheelbase vehicle, but who knows.

Kev

Thanks Kev.
My concern over the extra 11" comes from my safety chains. They're 7 footers. Again, the coach is in storage at my brothers house 4 hours away. I will reunite with it in 2 weekends and will hook it up and see how tight the chains are. If they work out I'll get the 8" riser which flattens me right out!

I would change or lengthen the safety chains if that is what it takes to level out the tow bar.

11" I'll have to measure mine.. I think it's nto that much

I'm not so concerned about the added length as I am the torque on the Hitch on the Tow Vehicle (Motor home) I use a 4" drop adapter to get mine to line up.. .The original towed was 4,000 poundsm, and the hitch rated for 5,000.. Tore it right off the motor home due to TORQUE.. Weld Shop did a first rate job of re-building for very little cost.  I don't think it's going to happen again (They over built)

New towed is not so heavy.. I inspect the hitch, including the brackets where the cross rail the receiver is welded to attaches to the frame rails (What broke) often.

Jeff, when you buy your drop/rise receiver be sure you can return it.  I purchased a Roadmaster online and it simply would not fit my BlueOx Aladdin bar.  Fortunately eTrailer allowed me to return it without paying shipping.  Ended up buying a BlueOx receiver (read more $$) but it was a smooth fit.  Now my experience may have been out of the norm but just wanted to warn you so you don't get stuck with one that does not fit your bar. 

Back
Top Bottom