Older Fleetwood roof construction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I have a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind Storm and can't seem to find any information of the roof construction of the unit. I want to remove an old Satellite dish and I noticed when I lift up slightly on the dish arm, it seems very shaky like there is nothing under where it is attached. Does anyone have any experience with the older Fleetwood models?

I don't have the details (call Fleetwood and ask), but basically it is a rather thin luan plywood skin over wood or metal cross members, then covered with a membrane (almost surely EPDM rubber on a vintage Storm).  It's not very rigid and you can probably apply a fair amount of leverage with the satellite arm.

The dish is probably just screwed into the luan plywood.  Even though the wind speeds are high during travel, things on the roof rarely come loose unless you actually hit something (tree limbs or overhead wires!). The forces are almost entire sideways (shear), not lifting or pulling.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I don't have the details (call Fleetwood and ask), but basically it is a rather thin luan plywood skin over wood or metal cross members, then covered with a membrane (almost surely EPDM rubber on a vintage Storm).  It's not very rigid and you can probably apply a fair amount of leverage with the satellite arm.

The dish is probably just screwed into the luan plywood.  Even though the wind speeds are high during travel, things on the roof rarely come loose unless you actually hit something (tree limbs or overhead wires!). The forces are almost entire sideways (shear), not lifting or pulling.

Thanks, Thats what I thought it might be.

Back
Top Bottom