LP Detector age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

The camper has separate LP, CO and smoke detectors.  The LP is near the floor, where it belongs and where I can reach it.  It is marked  MFG DATE SEPT 2012.  While I have not tested it, do these need to be replaced on a fixed schedule?  If so, how often? 

Same question for the other two detectors.  They are ceiling mounted by the door and I need a ladder for access.

Some expire in 5 years. Probably the best thing to do is pull the cover or the detectors and find the expiration dates.

My first one in my 5th wheel lasted about 3 years, then started going off for no reason, and would not shut off..  I replaced it, and have not had any issue with the new one.  It's into about year 4 now.  Holy cow, I've had this thing that long already??  Wow.

The detector manufacturers most all specify a 5 year expiration these days.  It's a legal protection measure on their part.  They could be the target of a wrongful death lawsuit if their alarm failed, so they try to limit their exposure by avoiding units that may be getting marginal.  They are probably being conservative at 5 years, but it is true that the LP gas detector is easily contaminated, though the usual fault is a false alarm. Smoke detectors also, though again most give a false alarm when they start to fail. I don't have any data on CO failures, but being an odorless and near 100% fatal gas, it pays to play safe unless you have the means to test it periodically.

Sounds like your LP detector has already been replaced once, which is not really surprising. It might be wise to get a clean start with new LP and smoke units. CO is a tougher call.

Back
Top Bottom