WTFun is wrong with the sink plumbing on my new RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV pipe fun  I bought a Class A motorhome a few days ago. It's a Thor Outlaw 37BG. Today I arrived at my first camp site, hooked up, and went inside to run the faucets to get air bubbles out of the pipes. After running for a few seconds, I found water flowing out from under the bathroom door.

After inspecting, I found that the pipe coming down from the bathroom sink doesn't really connect to the trap. The pictures are really the best I could do in the tight space. The white ring seems like it's supposed to connect the trap to the drain pipe, but it is way too large and makes a huge gap that allows water to freely overflow up, out, and onto the floor every time the faucet runs. I've tried tightening or loosening the white part, but it makes no difference since there is a huge hole in the center of the white part.

So, am I crazy, or was this assembled incorrectly? Surely this is supposed to a closed junction, right? The sink in the galley is nothing like this and has no problems.

Edit: I've tried a billion times to attach the pics. First it said they had to be under 3.5 MB. Then, after I spent an hour figuring out how to change the file size of images on my phone, the error message has moved the goalpost from 3.5 MB to 350 KB!! I have no idea how to make an image that small. So, I posted the pics on imgur. Hopefully that doesn't break any rules. If it does, would some kind mod consider downloading the pics from imgur and adding them to this post?

Here's the image link: https://imgur.com/a/gPUVU

Looks like the tailpiece from above is too short to make the connection to the inlet of the P trap. You might have to make a trip to the hardware store to get a longer tailpiece (prob 1-1/4") . It could also be simply that one of the other connections on the trap slipped out and allowed the trap to drop a bit. The tailpiece from above should insert into the trap at least 1/2".  None of this is rocket science, all should be available from the store.

Not only is the top piece too short, but if the picture captures it well, the upper pipe appears to be a smaller circumference than the bottom one. Even if it was longer, it would do no good since it would not make a good seal. American craftsmanship at its best!

No rules broken.  The 3.5MB file size applies to all attachments combined (up to 12), and 350K applies to each attachment. Here's the note on the page:

Restrictions: 12 per post, maximum total size 3500KB, maximum individual size 350KB

As others have suggested, you'll need to make a trip to the hardware store to put some plumbing stuff together. We went through a similar, albeit slightly different thing with our new coach.

Is this a brand new RV or a new to you used RV. If it's used, it may be that the previous owner started repairing a leak, purchased a new sink drain pipe from a local store and when he got home realized he screwed up and decided to trade it in without telling anyone at the dealership.
If it is a brand new RV, take it back to the dealer. Even if it's used, you can still take it back. If you purchased it from a private party, you're stuck. But it is repairable.
Please let us know how you make out.

It looks like what you have is fairly common, the tailpiece is 1 1/4 and the p-trap is 1 1/2. The difference is made up with a sealing ring that adapts the two different sizes. We used to call them "Mac washers" for lack of a better name.

Jbbrick is correct, get a longer tailpiece. It fit when it left the factory but bouncing along the road may have settled the tank and piping, it would be interesting to see if the piping will pull up out of the floor any distance at all. If it does it may be wise to put a clamp (friction clamp) around the pipe where it enters the floor.....if possible!

It's called Facebook and Tinder and Twitter and well, just cellphones.  Workers don't put their phones down long enough to do the work RIGHT anymore.

catblaster said:
It looks like what you have is fairly common, the tailpiece is 1 1/4 and the p-trap is 1 1/2. The difference is made up with a sealing ring that adapts the two different sizes. We used to call them "Mac washers" for lack of a better name.

Jbbrick is correct, get a longer tailpiece. It fit when it left the factory but bouncing along the road may have settled the tank and piping, it would be interesting to see if the piping will pull up out of the floor any distance at all. If it does it may be wise to put a clamp (friction clamp) around the pipe where it enters the floor.....if possible!

X2 This is the guidance you are looking for.

Also buy some good quality Teflon paste. When you get the longer tail piece there are 2 components that slip onto the end before you stick it together into the trap. The outer slipknot and a white plastic washer. Put those two on then smear some paste on the pipe and a little on the male threads. This will help with any small water leaks. Also remember the slipknot is only hand tight...no wrenching is needed. PS I MEANT SLIPNUT>>>NOT SLIPKNOT>>>DUH

Is there a chance that pipe actually is (was)long enough and has slipped down either because the pipe it connects to was not properly supported or if it goes directly into the tank, it ha slipped further in for the same reason?

malexander said:
Why are you a refugee from irv2, did you get banned too? ;D

Did you "say" something naughty? ::)

I can safely say that I didn't use any naughty words. Other than that, I'm not 100% certain. There was no drama of any kind with any of my posts, and there was no warning by the admins. Suddenly I was permabanned at the IP level...

Tom said:
No rules broken.  The 3.5MB file size applies to all attachments combined (up to 12), and 350K applies to each attachment. Here's the note on the page:

Restrictions: 12 per post, maximum total size 3500KB, maximum individual size 350KB

As others have suggested, you'll need to make a trip to the hardware store to put some plumbing stuff together. We went through a similar, albeit slightly different thing with our new coach.

Sorry that I didn't respond sooner. We had some urgent issues, and then BAM, it was holiday time. I promise I'll be a better member in the future!

I do have a question about your response, though. What exactly are you intending for people to post with a 350KB limit? I can't think of any file that would be that small other than a simple .txt file. Also, what is the expected method for sharing photos on this site?

I'm not criticizing the limit, I just want to know how to be a contributing member here. :) TIA

RefugeeFromIRV2 said:
I do have a question about your response, though. What exactly are you intending for people to post with a 350KB limit? I can't think of any file that would be that small other than a simple .txt file. Also, what is the expected method for sharing photos on this site?

I'm not criticizing the limit, I just want to know how to be a contributing member here. :) TIA
I have posted hundreds of photos on this site that are under 350kb. In fact up until a few years ago the limit was 250kb and I posted hundreds. Here is a thread of mine with many photos:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,52922.msg489211.html#msg489211

I was initially skeptical as well, but I quickly learned that pictures with file sizes of 350 kb (and even less) actually display quite well - well enough to show even small details.

Kev

You can reduce most any photo to 250-350kb - not too long ago that was relatively high res & quality.  Today it is often called "email" image size/res, e.g. 800x600 (SVGA) or 1024x768 (XGA). Further, with a modest reduction in quality, even a much higher res image will shrink to that range.

What you probably cannot do is use the image exactly as it pops out of a newer digital phone or camera. It will need to be shrunk in size a bit. Many smart phones have an option to reduce an image for "email", which probably gets the size into this range.

I've attached an image that is a mere 67 kb and resolution of 728x400.

Attachments

• RV-smart-car-towing-trailer-728x400.jpg
    RV-smart-car-towing-trailer-728x400.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 50
[quote author=RefugeeFromIRV2]I can't think of any file that would be that small other than a simple .txt file. Also, what is the expected method for sharing photos on this site?
I'm not criticizing the limit, I just want to know how to be a contributing member here.[/quote]

Ditto what other responders have said. Meanwhile, experience has shown that wherever I set the max image/file size, there will always be someone who wants to exceed the limits. I see this on numerous sites that I admin/manage, and IMHO it comes down to laziness on the part of the poster; They don't want to make the effort to resize their bloated images.

Why would you need to post images that are beyond the necessary resolution to view on your computer screen?

Back
Top Bottom