Leveling trailer for towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperPI

I have replaced the stock pin box hitch on my Montana 5er with a 5th Airborne air pin box.
I matched the new Pin box with the Lippert mounting brackets on the 5er.  To make a long story short the 5th Airborne box is now two inches lower than the stock pin box.  This has raised the front of the RV two inches which lowered the rear of the unit about 4 inches.  (I have no idea why there was such a difference between the front and back). 
I have a Husky 16K slider hitch on the tow vehicle which I noticed has four bolt locations to raise and lower the hitch plate.  This is currently in the second holes from the bottom which would allow it to be lowered the two inches to the top holes in the bracket thus putting the unit back to where the dealer originally installed it as being level.  I have plenty of clearance over the bed of the pickup to handle this.
I just returned from a trip to Florida which consisted of 2000 miles and there was a remarkable difference in the handling of the unit from the last trip with the old hitch in February.
I guess my question is would it be better to lower the Husky hitch to compensate for the 2 inch difference in the Pin Box installation or just leave it the way it is?

Larry

After contacting the service rep at the dealer where I bought the 5'er I learned that level is always better.  The Husky 16K hitch can be lowered the two inches that I needed.  They did caution that you should maintain enough clearance between the truck bed rail and the RV which should be no less than 8 inches.  Fortunately I have about 15-16 inches clearance presently.  I noticed other posts with the question of clearance and I can say with this unit and my Chevrolet Silverado extended cab 4x4 (shortbed) dura-max diesel this is not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom