Can anyone figure this silliness out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6x16inside

All my lights and flashers work as they are meant to UNTIL I turn on my headlights.....then things still work with assistance (meaning flipping the handle up and down for the left blinker to be a "blinker" LOL).
But mainly there is this: I took all the taillight assemblies apart and cleaned out all the sockets, replaced the bulbs, etc and somewhere along the line, the socket for this one vanished!  I have pulled all you see in the photo all the way out and there is nothing to stick the bulb in and it is driving me bonkers trying to figure out what happened.
I don't even know what this particular light is because to the left of it is a regular taillight arrangement with light, reverse light, another light and the two outer lights work as the blinkers.  See why I am confused.
This is on a 91 HR Imperial 37ft class A.  Would it be okay to just go ahead and put it back together and not worry about it?
Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• 20171128_133633[1].jpg
    20171128_133633[1].jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 119
It looks to me like a side marker light.  It should come on when your normal running lights are on.

I don't know why you are having trouble with the turn signal not flashing normally but I would first suspect the 12 volt flasher which is normally found under the dash.  Very inexpensive to try a replacement and they do make a heavy duty version if you have many lights.

Good Luck and you can buy a socket and wire it into the circuit.

And check your ground circuit. Bad grounds can cause all kinds of stupid problems.

I'm going with a bad ground.  Turn signals are grounding through the other filament in the bulb when the headlights are off.  Turn the headlights on, you're putting power to the other filament and destroying the ground path.

Oh, and yes, that's a side marker lamp.  Typically they use those little push-in type bulbs(#194)  The sockets for those can sometimes look like a female connector rather than an actual socket.

The socket, wire, and bulb are probably hanging down behind the housing.  The socket probably inserts and turns to secure from the back.
If you cannot reach the back then remove the housing to reinsert it.

Edit  I just looked closer at the picture and see that the socket is right there.

There is no further anything to remove......that where the hole is, is the final body of the home.
And I have only gotten TO this point BY changing out bulbs, flashers, fuses and even brand new side marker kits due to their kind not being able to simply change the bulb only.  Considering what it had been, I think I am at the as good as it is going to get section, LOL
I was just hoping someone else might have had an idea on where the socket could have gone to.

Most probably a bad ground, after 40 years as a mechanic I have found the best way to repair a bad ground is to install a new ground wire,
grind or sand a shinny spot on the frame and drill a hole and  bolt a wire eye there and run the wire to the tail light socket and connect it there.
Then Paint the bolt and wire where it is connected to the frame, no need to do anything with the old ground wire.
  Also hello to Bill the Huey pilot from Jerry at MRAI in MN.

Hey Jerry,

I am pretty much full time in Arizona.  We bought a home in Lake Havasu City and I am not traveling much at all.

Renae still does the summer in MN to be with her three little grandchildren.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  You will like it here, friendly folks, great information and advice.

On my coach that has happened twice, Both were bad grounds, One on a front turn signal, One on the Connector for the towed.. Since I pulled hair figuring out the first, the 2nd was easy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom