1998 P12 Chassis Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCbyNY

Hi all,  recently acquired a 1998 Pace Arrow Vision with the apparently very rare P12 chassis. All of the running gear is in great shape however I experienced some porpoising on our maiden voyage. Looking for some chassis part information as someone replaced the shocks with bus shocks and the leaf spring dampeners/bump stops are gone. With 65kmi, the plan is to replace and/or upgrade the front suspension.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.       

The vehicle VIN will verify whether your chassis is a P12 or P32 or P37. You need to be sure when buying chassis parts.  VIN positions 4-6 are the chassis type.

The Chevy truck VIN guide says that a "1' in position 5 indicates a half ton truck chassis, so I would be very surprised if your Pace is a P12 rather than P30 or P32. However, the RV industry never ceases to surprise me!

VIN# 1GBMP37B5W3315961.  Did a look-up on several sites and they report P30. That was my initial assumption as I didn't have any hitory with P30 chassis. I did some research on P30 and thought the porpoising could be bad Front Air bags or ball joints. When I originally looked the vehicle over I didn't remember coils but chalked that up to looking at 20+ units prior to finding this one.

When I slid underneath again I found no IFS/Coils/Airbags or anything resembling a P30 chassis.  It has the double drop axle, leaf spring front suspension and new Gabriel Shocks. Wrong shocks for a P12 (One already shot) but the right ones for a P30. So before I make any updates, mods or replace any parts I wanted to know the factory original parts and more about this chassis.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20171129_212121.jpg
    20171129_212121.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 26
The 3 chassis digits in the VIN are P37, as I expected. Generically that is a "P30".  I'm amazed there are no coil springs with air bags on the front, though. Never seen a Chevy chassis without those.

The 98's were available with either Ford or Chevy chassis and the Fords have a solid front axle, but that VIN is definitely a Chevy VIN. The steering wheel will have a Chevy logo rather than Ford.

When I was a m/h service tech at a Chevy dealer back in the '80's, we also did warranty work on John Deere chassis.  They had straight axle front ends, but I have no idea what the VIN's looked like, and no memory of any badging.
I've also never seen a P30 with a straight axle.

Yeah, a Deere or Oshkosh would have a straight axle and leaf springs, and also a Ford 460 V8 engine. However, the VIN clearly identifies it as a Chevy chassis - 1GB is unique to Chevrolet.

I am totally at loss as to what he has. I think somebody with Chevy chassis expertise needs to get eyeballs onto it.

I hate to raise this question, but have you verified the actual VIN on the vehicle rather than just the paperwork? Dealers have been known to get paperwork mixed up at times...

Hi All,
I verified the vin# on the chassis. There are random posts regarding the P12 chassis and some info from a user "Steady Eddie" and there is a yahoo forum that he apparently moderates on this chassis but no access to it as it is by subscription only and he hasn't responded. From what I gathered around the net the chassis was a 2 year 1998/1999 Chevrolet answer for the heavier weight M/H. L21 (7.4L) mated to an AT542 Allison trans. and it has 15" brakes.  I have the owners manual and just got the chassis service manual set but it doesn't have any part numbers.

Anyone know if "Steady Eddie" is active or any way to reach him or anyone have access to the Yahoo P12 group?

Thanks,
Erick 

I sent a Join request to see what happens.

The P12 chassis had a higher GVWR than the P3x, so maybe did use a different front axle. However, I thought the P12 appeared in the VIN in place of the P32 or P37.

There is a brief discussion of the P12 in this old forum topic:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=47969.0

That document is a big help - thanks, Richard!

So it appears that "P12" actually means the VIN should contain "P32012". Still doesn't match NCbyNY's VIN, but the chassis diagrams in that document should let him verify if that is what he has.

Thanks for the link to the up-fitters guide.  I took several measurements on the CL of springs, Hanger locations, the Axle C/L and Front Track. They are spot on with the diagrams.  Not sure why the VIN doesn't have the expected sequence but a P12 is the only logical conclusion.

Hi All,  Anyone a member of the P12 Yahoo group?  It's located @  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_P12_Chassis_Group/info .  Or have any parts info for this chassis?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom