Emergency slide retraction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Hilburn

Wondering where I would find information on how I would retract my slide if it ever failed. This hasn't happened but I've never seen a youtube or other info on my particular unit.
It's a 23' 2003 BT Cruiser with the 6' dinette slide. Seems to have just a single worm rail(?) in the center underneath and no access to the motor.

Do you have a hand crank and an access hole to the system to use it by any chance? The manufacturer, Gulfstream, may be able to help you with that.

It depends on the slide mechanism brand and the RV manufacturer.  Some have hand cranks, some you disconnect the motor or hydraulic pump and get some friends to help you push it in.  The latter is more and more common, since total slide out failures have proven to be fairly rare and so convenient alternatives are not a priority.

I'm not familiar with any worm-drive slide mechanisms, so can't comment on yours. Most are rack & pinion gears or hydraulic, but there have been cable and other system types as well. If you don't know the slide mechanism brand/type, Gulfstream is your best bet for help.

I would guess rack and pinion is correct. An aluminum rail with a zig zag groove.
I was crawling around on my belly today doing something else and looked under the slide which you can do with it retracted. I see the motor and electrical connection block, the big rollers and a long coil cord but all of that seems completely inaccessable. The bottom of the slide is sheet metal so taking the dinette apart isn't going to give you access. No openings for tools anywhere and only storage compartments under it all from the outside.
Now the slide is in but if it were out the motor would then be closer to the edge of the dinette and maybe there is a way to get to it then.

On my 2012 Winnebago Vista, the dinette slide had 2 motors, one easily accessible at the front end, on which you could use a wrench to bring it in. The motor on the rear of the slide could be accessed if needed, my best guess would be that you removed the rear duals on that side, the top of the wheel well, possibly removed a section of body work, then went at it. Seriously, although I could SEE the motor, it was not, as far as I could determine, possible to actually touch it.

Fortunately, it never failed and it is someone else?s potential  problem now,?

With the Power Gear rack & pinion mechanism, you flip a lever on the motor to disengage it and physically push the slide in. It takes at least two people and maybe 3-4 if its a big slide. Some other brands have a big hex nut on the end of the shaft and you crank it with a wrench, preferable a fairly large ratchet.

Rack & pinion slides have a set of parallel sawtooth grooves in a flat surface.  A worm gear is round and the groove spirals around it.

Gary,
I believe you use to have an American Tradition. Can you post how to retract the slides on your former coach. I will print and save for future reference. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom